ThrowinPlugs

Med-heavy FW rod suitable for Back bay Fluke?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hey all, so the question is pretty obvious. I tried out my kayak in the back bay today for the first time after only using it for fresh water. What an awesome time! Bunker schools going insane on bait fish, all around me, way more action than I was getting from the shore, and was actually pulling in keeper fluke for once. Now here's my conundrum. My current "light" tackle set up is a 7' MH tsunami five star with a Stradic 4000 reel and 20lb braid, or 6.6' MH tsunami 5 star paired with a stradic 3000 reel with 15lb braid. Both outfits work great, but the  butts are WAY too long, and I don't want to cut either down. Now I do have 2 St Croix Triumphs for FW, both MH, 7' rated up to 1oz, 6' rated to 5/8oz. Both have the correct length I need for the kayak comfortably.

Would either of those suffice for back bay fluking? 

Just about any freshwater bass rod will do. I like a crankbait rod on a baitcaster. 

For fun, sometimes I catch fluke with kiddie poles and Kmart rods. No need to be fancy. Just use what you like. 

Kayak fishing in the salt screams for a custom, if you got the loot. You can get the exact rod you want, with the exact dimensions, like butt length. You can also get one, or even multiple, places to attach a tether to. 

That would be wonderful, but this is my last summer in the salt for quite a while, moving somewhere there's no beaches unfortunately. No need to buy an expensive rod for less than a few month of fishing at this point.