Fflyakk

Crease Fly adhesive

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

So after becoming a full fledge Tarponholic in Costa Rica, I promise to do a right up later, the opportunity for topwater on the Caribbean and in the Rios is limitless. I love crease flies and I love tube flies and I thought I would do a hybrid of them both. A crease tube. My question is for the crease fly tyers, what is your favorite adhesive for bonding the foam body together? I use 5 min. epoxy with limited success. Gracias.

Edited by Fflyakk

Bonding foam to foam, it's hard to beat brush-on CA super glue like zap a gap. You don't need to coat the finished fly, but if you want, epoxy or LCAs aren't a bad way to go. Epoxy is the cheapest, but will severely yellow with exposure to UV light, while the expensive LCAs are brittle but stay clear. 

The best adhesive I have found for making Creases is Loctite's Super Glue Gel Control. It works very well for gluing the foam Crease body to the thread covered hook shank. For giving them a nice, pretty candy-shell finish I use 30 Min DevCon epoxy.  JMO Have Fun

IMG_5925.jpg

IMG_5927.jpg

IMG_5933.jpg

Second CGG--Loctite gel control is great stuff, although does not dry as clear as Zap-a-Gap. I am not sure how it would adhere to the tube part, as I have never tied tube flies. There are certain surfaces on which cyanoacrylate is weirdly ineffective. Will be interested to see your results--

I use either the Loctite or the Zap-a-Gap.  The Zap-a-Gap sets up quicker.  I never tied a crease fly using tubes but have tied them on various size articulated shanks.   You shouldn't have any problems attaching a tube, just treat it like a hook and wrap it with thread.  Also, you need to consider where you're going to place the tube in the body, especially if you're going to use plastic tubes.  The weight is going to be at the back of the fly with the hook.  You won't have the weight of the hook, and keel effect of the hook bend and point you would get on a standard crease fly, so a tube  will sit differently in the water, and have a different action.

Loctite gel is great for foam. It holds well, seems to be waterproof, and allows for a bit more working time than thinner CA. I use it bonding all my foam poppers.

I will also put a rattle in the fly. I plan on trying them out on the lake to see the action. Watching big ass tarpon chase poppers on the surface had me think about big crease flies. Tube allows me to tye jumbo size. Fish in the video was 110 lbs.

Edited by Fflyakk

People talk bad about epoxies, and yes it does eventually yellow, but nothing beats it in the durability department. My flies are demolished long before the yellowing issue arises anyways.

I've used gel super glue, regular super glue, tear mender, e6000, all kinds of uv resins, and epoxy can take the beating while others can't. Yeah you need to mix it and all that, but if my flies last twice as long, its time well spent.