Newbie looking for replacement for Abu 5500 C3

Rate this topic

DX5

Hi, hope I'm posting this in the right forum.  I have an ancient (possibly 20 years old) Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5500 C3 that I got from my cousin after he had owned it since it was given to him as a gift (and by owned I mean he used it maybe three times, then put in a drawer and forgot about it, where it remained until three years ago when I dug it out).  I managed to keep it alive for the last few years after a quick clean and lube but I believe it is on it's last legs (significant corrosion due to using with saltwater and then sitting for decades).  I am considering replacing it with a low profile Revo Inshore or similar Shimano low profile multiplier.

Anyone have experience with the Revo Inshore?  Or could reccomend a Shimano that fills the same role?  This is used primarily for shore casting and light inshore boat work using lures up to about 20 grams or so (so roughly 3/4 ounce).  Rod is a graphite Castaway 7 foot medium bait casting.  I will also replace the rod at some point, so it would be nice to have a reel where I could upgrade the rod down the line.

Right now the Gen 4 Revo Inshore appears to be coming in September, which means that the current Gen 3 is discounted just about everywhere I look (down to USD $159 on Amazon).  Is it worth waiting on the Gen 4 or should I just get the gen 3?

Thanks in advance for any advice  :)

Edited by DX5

When it comes to conventional use in the salt service access has to be a priority.

Your old 5500 ABU  may be spent but one like it could be had in line for less than $70.00

in fine shape. The beauty of this reel is not just it's clean smooth function but how easily

it can be maintained. The thing will break down to three pieces in less than a minute.

these can be rinsed thoroughly and reassembled just as quickly.

There is something to be said for simple effective clean engineering IMHO.

Complete service takes a half an hour with a little patience and experience.

tight lines, Rich

Halcyon and Surfcaster809 make good points.

If your existing reel does all that you desire of it, why attempt to move to greener pastures. 

You mentioned upgrading rods later, but your existing reel would handle an upgrade quite easily. Also, a 6500 size reel can be found for the same change. Or keeping a 6500 frame, spindle, and spool on hand to convert your 5500 when line capacity is needed is an option.

I have been considering a LP reel just to see what all of the excitement is about, but I dont expect that it will replace my Abu style round reel line up.

The design of your existing reel has lasted the test of time because it's so versatile.

Edited by caster1990

Hmmm, if I decide to try to fix the 5500, where is a good place to look for replacement parts?  (I've heard of smoothdrag reccomended)  I'll probably put in a budget for how much it will cost to fix the current one versus just buying a new one.  A new 5500 c3 or 5600 c4 costs about $95-$130, so if fixing the current one goes above say 70% of that I will probably just buy a new one.

Found this thread: ,  but a number of the pictures seem to be down, is this something I can attempt myself?

Edited by TimS
wrong url

9 hours ago, DX5 said:

Hmmm, if I decide to try to fix the 5500, where is a good place to look for replacement parts? 

Parts are easily found with a web search, and sometimes a phone call. It is important for servicing and ordering parts to properly identify the reel in question, as there are often variances within a reel model. 

9 hours ago, DX5 said:

Found this thread: ,  but a number of the pictures seem to be down, is this something I can attempt myself?

That is for you to decide. Only you know your mechanical skill, and ability to detect a defective part when inspected.

Becoming familiar With a complete tear down, cleaning, inspection, lube, and reassembly on any style of reel is better learned with a fully functional, serviced, and in good repair reel. This will give you a good base line for how the parts should look and feel during the process. You should always find the correct schematics for referance before hand.

9 hours ago, DX5 said:

A new 5500 c3 or 5600 c4 costs about $95-$130, so if fixing the current one goes above say 70% of that I will probably just buy a new one.

I personally, and most shops, use an ultrasonic cleaner because its the least invasive way to clean frozen and corroded reels and parts. One or two heated cycles in it has enabled easy disassembly of even the most corroded reels that I have serviced, without further damaging parts.

You have mentioned wanting better drags, and with lack of maintenance it is likely that you will need an IAR bearing. A fresh set of Abu bearings are as fast as anything if maintained, and they are cheap if you need them. 

If you ask anyone who does this work they will let you know their rates, and cost of the parts I have mentioned. This will give you a good idea if their service will be in your 70% budget of 66.50-91$. 

It is very likely that it will at the first shop, if not keep searching.

15 hours ago, caster1990 said:

Halcyon and Surfcaster809 make good points.

I have been considering a LP reel just to see what all of the excitement is about, but I dont expect that it will replace my Abu style round reel line up.

The design of your existing reel has lasted the test of time because it's so versatile.

I agree fully. 

3 hours ago, caster1990 said:

Parts are easily found with a web search, and sometimes a phone call. It is important for servicing and ordering parts to properly identify the reel in question, as there are often variances within a reel model. 

That is for you to decide. Only you know your mechanical skill, and ability to detect a defective part when inspected.

Becoming familiar With a complete tear down, cleaning, inspection, lube, and reassembly on any style of reel is better learned with a fully functional, serviced, and in good repair reel. This will give you a good base line for how the parts should look and feel during the process. You should always find the correct schematics for referance before hand.

I personally, and most shops, use an ultrasonic cleaner because its the least invasive way to clean frozen and corroded reels and parts. One or two heated cycles in it has enabled easy disassembly of even the most corroded reels that I have serviced, without further damaging parts.

You have mentioned wanting better drags, and with lack of maintenance it is likely that you will need an IAR bearing. A fresh set of Abu bearings are as fast as anything if maintained, and they are cheap if you need them. 

If you ask anyone who does this work they will let you know their rates, and cost of the parts I have mentioned. This will give you a good idea if their service will be in your 70% budget of 66.50-91$. 

It is very likely that it will at the first shop, if not keep searching.

I'm in Norway where everything is expensive :(   

I went to my local fishing store today and was quoted 699NOK (about $90 USD) for a repair/service, and that's if no parts need to be replaced (so it could quickly climb).  At that point, I'm tempted to buy a new reel of some sort.  My parents live in the states so I can just get something shipped to them and then have them ship it to me, or go to a fishing store there the next time I visit.  The shopkeep pretty much said the same thing, that if I have the ability to buy it in the US, it would be a whole lot cheaper.  (A new Ambassadeur C3 or C4 would be 1500-1700 NOK, about $220 USD.)

I was initially tempted by the Revo offshore more or less in that I wanted to try the low profile reel size after only using the standard round multiplier reels, and the gen 4 is about to be released, so I can find the current gen 3 for as little as $150, but I'm open to suggestions.

I'll probably bring the C3 to the US the next time I'm there and see if a local shop can fix it cheaper, and then just have two setups if the thing is fixable, but I don't know how long I would stay in the US, if I would have time to get it back before I have to leave.  (That, and if I just buy another 5500 C3 I would end up with two identical reels)

This hobby is confusing sometimes :(

Edited by DX5

and next year the gen 5 etc. Abu 5500 c3 has been on gen 1 how long?

I had the early Revo Inshore. It was a good reel, the drag was overstated by about 7lbs; which does not matter much, because if you are fishing with a 5500 or gen1 Inshore to begin with, you are not looking to use 20lbs of drag. Mostly, I used it for freshwater casting anyway.

Part of the Abu generations may be to correct upon and evolve the products, but the other part is marketing. Abu Revo sells you "ultra super Dina digi gear of rare mars metals" meaning machine cut brass hardened gears, just like the ones in your c3.

i think the 5500c3 is a good versatile product for light salt and medium freshwater use. It will get the job done, even if it is short on the bling.