drumfish213

St. Michael's MD Recommendations

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Going on vacation to St. Michael's next week for the first time. I am looking for recommendations for things to do, places to eat, and of course fishing (specifically what type of gear I should bring and what I should be targeting). I will be staying right next to Oak Creek. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bill Burton state park fishing pier/ Chincoteague  National wildlife refuge ( within a day trip) wild ponies... Avoid week end.

St Michael has a lot good restaurants and attraction. Nice town. 

Have fun. 

14 hours ago, paxriver said:

Bill Burton state park fishing pier/ Chincoteague  National wildlife refuge ( within a day trip) wild ponies... Avoid week end.

St Michael has a lot good restaurants and attraction. Nice town. 

Have fun. 

Thanks. What would you suggest in terms of fishing tackle? I plan on bringing a 6.5 foot light action (that I use for fluke and snappers in NJ) an 8 foot medium set up and an 8 foot heavier set up. I was going to leave anything bigger than that at home unless there is a use for it. 

Depending where you fish, what is available. If you fish in Chincoteague Nat. refuge you will need surf rod with sand pipes it is a mostly bait fishing thing.

Around St Michael, whatever you mention is fine. If I were you I would bring a long light  or ultra light to catch bait- a lot of fun in the many creeks, docks... An outfit for flounder/ mid size /snapper blues/ seatrout...I like 

7 1/2 to 8 1/2 '. If you fish at the Bill Burton you need to bring some M -MH with some backbone to steer the the fish from the pillars or to swing over the rail. 

Fly fishing rod is always fun in the creek, small water around St Michael. Lot of nook and crannies water to explore. 

Do not forget to sample crab cake/ soft shell crab/ some local beer.

Go to the crab claw for food. My grandmother used to live there and it was awesome. Fish in the harbor there, it's near another restaurant that is good too I forget the name, but it's a bulkhead near brick paths in front of a historical building I believe (been a while) and use beetle spins or small stuff. Perch and small stripers are in there but mainly perch. It's fun. It was a short walk down the street

11 hours ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

Go to the crab claw for food. My grandmother used to live there and it was awesome. Fish in the harbor there, it's near another restaurant that is good too I forget the name, but it's a bulkhead near brick paths in front of a historical building I believe (been a while) and use beetle spins or small stuff. Perch and small stripers are in there but mainly perch. It's fun. It was a short walk down the street

This is super helpful, thank you! I would not have thought about perch and using beetle spins as I don't fish for them in NJ. Any recommendations on how to target them?

1 hour ago, linesiderdemdnj said:

Just cast out and reel in slow at that place. There are benches in front of the bulk head. I believe it is in front of a church. You can see crab claw off to the left from the spot

Thanks! It looks like I am staying about 10 minutes away, on Oak Creek which flows into Miles River which is what the Clab Claw is on. I assume the same strategy will work where I am staying (there is a dock at the house). 

For restaurants go to Ava's on Talbot Street. There will be a wait, but it will be worth it. Don't bother fishing in the Miles near St. Michaels. The river is polluted near the town. There is a lot of bait in the water but it is only bait.

Fish Broad Creek on the other side of town or try the dock at the landing at Claiborne or follow further to Lowes Wharf. From Lowes Wharf you can fish Poplar Narrows.