zak-striper

"When the shark bites..." ♩♪♫♬

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I just got myself a new stand up rod and reel to play with sharks. Can't wait to get out this weekend 

There was a GWS on Thursday night down there as well. It breached on a hooked striper about 30 yards away from us. The guy who had hooked the fish almost sh** himself 

Happened to a bud of mine back in the late nineties when we were tubing the same area. There was a giant school of bass there and at that time we had a forty fish limit which we were getting. My friend comes over and shows me a 15 pounder bit in half........pretty much just like the one in the on the water pic.

I always thought sharks like to follow big schools of fish and pick off the weak ones.............

I had a bass get bitten in half in Quicks around 1975. Mid August, only place there's fish is Quicks, deep, and on wire. I'm bringing in a bass and a blue on an umbrella, when something runs 20 yards of wire, then lets go. I bring in a large blue and half a bass chopped right behind the gills.

Based on the video clip, I didn't hear him say he say the shark that bit his fish, but rather a fellow angler had a shark bite their fish.

Looking at the pic in the video of the remains, it looks a little too ragged to be a shark bite. Shark bites tend to have cleaner egdes because of the sharpness of the teeth.

Now a seal, on the other hand, would create that ragged bite as it chewed its way thru the body.

I could be wrong, but that's just how it looks based on the photo provided.... 

1 hour ago, FishermanTim said:

Now a seal, on the other hand, would create that ragged bite as it chewed its way thru the body.

I was fishing the east end of the canal at night about 3 weeks ago when a seal was cruising back & forth looking for stripers. That seal shut down the bite pretty quickly. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a seal that bit that striper in the Channel 7 video.

5 minutes ago, Plug and teaser said:

For the boat guys.....more often than not it would be a blue shark wouldn't it ?

Happened once when fishing around Fishers Island with a friend, it was a Blue Shark we saw it clearly.

In my case I'm almost certain it was a blue shark because I'd seen one cruising Quicks a couple days in a row. So I sort of expected it to happen.

I had it happen to me in the early 80's. I was on a party boat jigging cod and it was a slow day. Biggest fish in the pool was just over 5lbs. Just before the bell rang ending the trip I hooked into somthing big and at last a nice cod! My rod had a huge bend in it and I could hear the guy's all talking " this kids got the pool". The fish was getting close to the surface and just beyond sight when bang he was gone. I kept hauling to find the head of what would have been a monster cod and the hands down winner of the pool $$$. Dont know what kind of shark it was because we never seen it. Probably a big blue.

Edited by BnBoston

Happened 2x in the same spot within 3 years when I was younger (early 80's)

First time was in 14 foot canoe w/ an electric trolling motor in the middle of the day in less than 10 feet of water. Hooked up to a blue fish in the middle of hauling it goes nuts and then goes limp. Reel it in and as we were pulling it out of the water, a big (u/w it looked to be the size of the canoe) blue dog swam right under us. Couldn't get out of that canoe fast enough.

Second time was at night surf fishing with my soon to be wife at that same spot (Crowe Point) standing in 2 feet of FAC water when she reels in a half micro bass. Never saw what bit it but it had to be a shark. I have a picture of that fish somewhere. She FREAKED:shock:

I have fished those waters my whole life and havent ever even heard of any evidence of sharks before or since.