August 2017 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

Sudsy

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in separate threads. If you have a question about something that would make a good thread on it's own, please start one.

For all of you new to the site, this is how you should make your report. Remember it's up to you how much information you give, but please keep it within the rules.

County,

Front (oceanfront) or back (rivers, bays, and inlets),

Conditions

What you were fishing for,

What you were using,

What you caught. 

You can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are..........
Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.
County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

Out back CmC 530-7pm. Closed out a slow July with the skunk. Water still brown from the weekend. 1st spot was just a bunch of Small snappers chasing bait and nothing biting on my end. 2nd spot which was good last year is just riddled with sea weed this year storm or no storm. Probably get some casts in after work today. 

Went out last night from 11-12. Brought s friend of mine who's not a fisherman but I bring once and awhile and I probably shouldn't have because he gave up real quick. Bass n blues of average size tearing up a huge school of peanuts. Couldn't buy a bite though, even snagged a peanut and live lined him but no love for me

Hit the beach in Moco around sunset looking for fluke last night.  Tides sucked but had the usual shorts galore.  Had one solid hit but he came un hooked shortly after.  After going through about $10 in gulp thanks to snappers I said enough.  Water looked good minus the low tide, lots of bait.

I've actually been fishing just about daily but felt no need to report my skills at catching shorts.  We're talking really short shorts over and over every day.  Not a keeper from the surf yet...

If anyone wants the hot tip on 8" fluke in the surf PM me.  I would be willing to share for the right price or plug trade (thinking GRS, DMag, SS show specials and that level of plugs minimum for this hot tip)

At least the tourists make for better "scenery".  Better than sharing the beach with a bunch of grumpy old men in waders like the fall peanut runs...

Edited by ShoreThingNJ

Not a breath of wind early this morning.  Ocean was almost glass flat.  Surf still rolling a bit, so some nice water to fish with a few rips still flowing.  Fished the bugs and had one single hit that resulted in a little 20 incher with stripes.  First time I've seen the hickories jumping outside the surf line, so guess I'll have to get the teasers out again.

August 1, 2017  20 inches.JPG

3 hours ago, MC55 said:

Not a breath of wind early this morning.  Ocean was almost glass flat.  Surf still rolling a bit, so some nice water to fish with a few rips still flowing.  Fished the bugs and had one single hit that resulted in a little 20 incher with stripes.  First time I've seen the hickories jumping outside the surf line, so guess I'll have to get the teasers out again.

Nice little spot of orange... Eggs I'm assuming? I wonder why, from an evolutionary perspective, eggs are colored so brightly.

That's a really good question !

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

3 hours ago, MC55 said:

Might be small but that's still a pretty fish

3 hours ago, MC55 said:

First off, August Sucks! Godd&%#n snappers biting the tails off everything, Gulp budget is shot to hell. Livelining the little bastages has produced no joy so far either, except I get to stick a hook in 'em.

Mike I saw the Hickories this morning as well, at first I thought they were slightly larger blues but I think you are right, size and shape are more Hickory like. The first 5 on the teaser will be fun, then.....

"Can You Hear Me, Doctor?"

Okay,

The first weekend for me was tough somewhere between IBSP and Manasquan, it seemed just a tad rough out there.  Tried on Sunday, but to no avail.  Caught a big stargazer on the teaser on Monday am but that was it.  Could only fish the low, didn't see any snappers, and nothing was hitting the clam or squid.  Used tin, rubber, spros w/teasers, but I'll head back down and fish on Friday thru Monday and maybe the conditions will be better.  Good luck to all.

1 hour ago, Ed White said:

Mike I saw the Hickories this morning as well, at first I thought they were slightly larger blues but I think you are right, size and shape are more Hickory like. The first 5 on the teaser will be fun, then.....

I would think that a big chunk of stinky hickory shad would make for good shark bait ??

7 hours ago, Rkfool said:

Went out last night from 11-12. Brought s friend of mine who's not a fisherman but I bring once and awhile and I probably shouldn't have because he gave up real quick. Bass n blues of average size tearing up a huge school of peanuts. Couldn't buy a bite though, even snagged a peanut and live lined him but no love for me

Brutal.. lol

9 hours ago, Rkfool said:

You should have live lined your friend.