Surfrat815

Bass are being snobs...

11 posts in this topic

I've been fishing a few ponds recently that are full of hawg bass, and I've been fishing mostly at night since its been so hot lately. Tried everything frogs, giant worms, buzzbaits, jitterbugs, all your typical nighttime baits. I'll get taps and sometimes a blowup or two but they just aren't commiting to it. Any suggestions on how to get these picky bastards to bite??? :o

Interesting.  had the boys and their friends over to our little pond yesterday and it was hard not to catch the 12" bass that were cruising the shallows.     

Saw a PIG doing the same, and she wouldnt cooperate in the least.  

I like to go SLLLOOOOWW when they get picky like that, but in this case it didnt work.  Truth be told, I was multitasking, which maybe doesnt jive with SLLLOOOW.  

I don't know if they still sell them but when I could not buy a bite from my larger topwater lures I would use a small hula popper. Bass big and small would go nuts after it on slow days.

Also, you might be surprised at what a simple size 9 Rapala Original Minnow can do when fished on light tackle using basic steady retrieve; especially considering the bass your are targeting have probably seen every new and fancy thing up to this point.

The key to bringing out the most from an Original Minnow is to use the Rapala knot.

I'd agree with giving them something small and less "spooky". Perhaps even a small weightless worm will do it. I normally score well with all the lures you've mentioned, but sometimes they want something completely different and unorthodox.

Its funny because I was getting taps the other day on a big worm and also caught a few dinks on a spinnerbait, but as soon as it got dark I couldn't get a bite. Which is weird because usually in summer the bigger fish become more active after dark.