Sudsy

Agepoch Dyneema Braided Line ??

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Putting together a light conventional boat rod for vertical jigging porgie / shallow water fluke. Other than a light toss away from the boat no plans to use it as a cast and retrieve line.

Impulse purchase ordered a 500 meter spool of 15# chinese braid -  "Agepoch Yellow Power Dyneema Dorisea Braided Fishing Line" for $13.20 shipped.

Damn that's cheap - too good to be true ??

I've been using agepoch and other braids from Asia for years now. Never had an issue. I.ve used 50, 60, and 70# braid. Never used a lighter line

Edited by jimmy z

I bought from an Asian vendor once - he was selling spools of 80lb braid for cheap, figured I can use it on one of my heavier chunking outfits. As soon as I received it I could tell something was off, was much thinner than other brands 80lb line, so I tested the breaking strength and it snapped at under 50lbs! Wound up using it for wrapping bucktails and tying flys.

13 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Putting together a light conventional boat rod for vertical jigging porgie / shallow water fluke. Other than a light toss away from the boat no plans to use it as a cast and retrieve line.

Impulse purchase ordered a 500 meter spool of 15# chinese braid -  "Agepoch Yellow Power Dyneema Dorisea Braided Fishing Line" for $13.20 shipped.

Damn that's cheap - too good to be true ??

When you're done playing with that stuff, spool-up with 14lb Fireline Fused in your favorite color. I get reliable knots and little to no tip wrap while jigging.

Personally I am using the tracer color. Much easier for me to see than any solid color. Plus I can count my way down to the bottom with the 5' light color, then 5' dark color.

I used to troll with the Fireline Tracer Braid but the 2.5' color change was hard to count as it sped by.

2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

20'

I vertical jig in 20-40 feet of fresh water.

I have 125 yards of Fireline 14 with a mono backing as needed on my reels.

Do you plan to crank the whole 500 meters onto your conventional reel?

Just bought a 300 yard spool of 14 off eBay for $25 shipped. 

I'll probably measure and replace 100yards on each of three reels.

Edited by bunnymoney

Except for a bit of mono backing I always fill the spool. 

Guards against surprises (you never know in the ocean) and it can be flipped so all the line gets used.

For $13 for 550 yards I can fill the spool twice - So if this stuff is acceptable I'm good on this setup for 10 years (not going to be using it much)

Edited by Sudsy

We're talking about fish that almost never get over 10 pounds, and will rarely get over 5 in water that shallow. Use the cheap stuff.