Walber8705

Block island surf experiences/ Stories

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

So i just got back from block island for a surfcasting trip, it was my first trip and it was pretty insane. met three of the coolest surf guys that were willing to teach me an my buddy a few things about fishing the island. The waves were intense and i would have to say it was the "real deal" im from CT and we really dont get waves the way i seen on the island over all a great experience.

The environmental offers surfcasters and boat guys all they could want. Definitely the Mecca of fishing surf or boat.

Now you will be planning and dreaming of your return trip.:rav:

Here is an old story:

Many of those who took part in the blitz told me that they had landed two cow sized bass each night, some
more, some less. Most said they had lost at least two hook-ups for every
fish they landed. Figuring 35 anglers fishing the bar each night for
three hours or so I estimate approximately 140 cow sized bass hooked
of which 70 were landed, almost all of which were 30-60 pounds.
Remember, this happened both nights. Over 4200 pounds of bass landed
in six hours and all taken from the surf on plugs.

Blocks a cool place. I find myself fishing across from it way more than on it, but wish I could fish it more. Definitly a fun place to fish. Here's a quick story about one trip there. 

Couple years ago I took a commando trip to block. all was going great until I was swimming back off my rock and got slammed in the legs by something large that pulled me under. In a panic i Turned around to figure out what the hell happened and saw that  a small seal carcass had hit my legs and caught my foot. Relieved I wasn't about to die, I got free and swam back in and had to sit down for a while. ..So now everytime a friend says he's going to block I always say to watch out for dead seals haha. 

1 hour ago, levari said:

35 anglers fishing that bar..Are we talking NJ fishing but without the cows?

When someone chased a fish another jumped into the opening of the picket line.  Mad house fishing, 

29 minutes ago, FinS 32 said:

Blocks a cool place. I find myself fishing across from it way more than on it, but wish I could fish it more. Definitly a fun place to fish. Here's a quick story about one trip there. 

Couple years ago I took a commando trip to block. all was going great until I was swimming back off my rock and got slammed in the legs by something large that pulled me under. In a panic i Turned around to figure out what the hell happened and saw that  a small seal carcass had hit my legs and caught my foot. Relieved I wasn't about to die, I got free and swam back in and had to sit down for a while. ..So now everytime a friend says he's going to block I always say to watch out for dead seals haha. 

Some big sharks are out there from time to time - usually in summer.  A friend of mine targeted them about 15 years back - chummed heavily with menhaden - wire leaders - took some browns over 7 feet.  Spooled multiple times using an Ambassador 7000. 

3 hours ago, DZ said:

Here is an old story:

Many of those who took part in the blitz told me that they had landed two cow sized bass each night, some
more, some less. Most said they had lost at least two hook-ups for every
fish they landed. Figuring 35 anglers fishing the bar each night for
three hours or so I estimate approximately 140 cow sized bass hooked
of which 70 were landed, almost all of which were 30-60 pounds.
Remember, this happened both nights. Over 4200 pounds of bass landed
in six hours and all taken from the surf on plugs.

And of course, being fisherman, and surfcasters at that, you start with the assumption that they were all telling the truth DZ, right?

:)

10 minutes ago, DZ said:

When someone chased a fish another jumped into the opening of the picket line.  Mad house fishing, 

Nah.. that's not NJ. In NJ when someone chase a fish another 10 will jump into the opening..

16 hours ago, Walber8705 said:

So i just got back from block island for a surfcasting trip, it was my first trip and it was pretty insane. met three of the coolest surf guys that were willing to teach me an my buddy a few things about fishing the island. The waves were intense and i would have to say it was the "real deal" im from CT and we really dont get waves the way i seen on the island over all a great experience.

Welcome to SOL! Nice meeting you on the island Walber! Glad we could show you a few things out there! hope to see you back on the island soon!

Edited by ranger9

7 minutes ago, blackdogfish said:

And of course, being fisherman, and surfcasters at that, you start with the assumption that they were all telling the truth DZ, right?

:)

Yes, of course it helps I was there watching it happen and taking part.  The highlight of my surfcasting life. 

I was fishing from on top of a ladder in late June a few years ago in about 5 ft of water inside great salt pond. It was an overcast/damp morning, but otherwise dead calm. I saw a fish swimming near the bottom come toward my ladder from the deeper water and swim in front (probably 7-8 ft of water). When I first saw it I did a double-take because it was by far the biggest bass I've ever seen. As it swam in front of the ladder, still in deeper water, it was clear it was a shark. Must have been 50+ inches, whatever kind it was. I waited for the tide to go down a bit, then went in for breakfast.