SurfCasting tips in the wind

Rate this topic

Walber8705

Cast low & drop the tip ASAP, so has not have the wind keep blowing yr line.

Use a low profile aerodynamic plug or tin, maybe take the trailer off yr bucktail.

Morone Saxatilis... God put them in the Surf to take them, not in the freaking boat!

first time posting on distance forum, but ill add my 2c. If you are casting in a hard cross wind, you will be more successful if you can cast sidearm and proceed to drop your line to the water asa frazerp mentioned.

If you have a hard onshore wind in your face, that is your time to pick up the metals and heavier plugs. To help prevent wind knots in this  situation i suggest pinching the line with your fingers as you pick up your slack.

I tend to throw plugs that dig in with hard winds and current because they help keep the bow to a minimum. i.e. swimmers, heavier plugs and tins, bottles

I've also found using mono a better choice than braid when fighting any wind, cross or face on. And of course, heavier weight with a low profile is a better choice. I don't remember where I read it but it was suggested that using a shorter rod would also help, why, I don't remember.

Oldgoat has it - always think fish at yr feet or maybe even take a cast or two 20 ft from the suds & never not follow the plug all the way thru the suds ...

Morone Saxatilis... God put them in the Surf to take them, not in the freaking boat!

• 1 month later...

You don't always have to throw an undressed diamond jig/bucktail/bottle plug or whatever if the fish are keying on bait that you can imitate with a teaser.  As stated above, the fish are usually pretty close in a snotty surf.  So, if you are just trying to keep your presentation/teaser in the strike zone longer, lose the plug and replace it with a bank sinker.  A lot of times the hook on a diamond jig will stick in the sand or get hung on rocks which screws up the teaser presentation.  The bank sinker doesn't.

Edited by Jettyhound

"If you want to consider what 'social security' does for and to people, look at the American Indian." -Henry Ford

"If I could live my life over, I'd live it over Giglio's B&T." -Bud E. Brown

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2017 at 11:42 AM, Jettyhound said:

You don't always have to throw an undressed diamond jig/bucktail/bottle plug or whatever if the fish are keying on bait that you can imitate with a teaser.  As stated above, the fish are usually pretty close in a snotty surf.  So, if you are just trying to keep your presentation/teaser in the strike zone longer, lose the plug and replace it with a bank sinker.  A lot of times the hook on a diamond jig will stick in the sand or get hung on rocks which screws up the teaser presentation.  The bank sinker doesn't.

Hey Jetty this is a great tip, one which I forget too often.

I do it alot for fluke to get the Gulp to the outside of a cut. Would work great for bass etc. too.

Thanks.

JD

^^ I often times put the weight on the dropper loop and a teaser or whatever on the snap (where the plug normally goes).

(My grandkids have been catching the crap out of the snappers that have been in the wash for the past month.  The little "snapper zapper" is too light to cast so I put a 005 on the loop and the zapper spoon on the snap.)

Edited by Jettyhound

"If you want to consider what 'social security' does for and to people, look at the American Indian." -Henry Ford

"If I could live my life over, I'd live it over Giglio's B&T." -Bud E. Brown

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

• 2 weeks later...

With heavy winds i tend to cast 5-6OZ lead minimum, Heavy Jig fishing in canal still works well in the wind. it helps too that i use a century Sling Shot 11' tho :cool:, If fishing  chunks on beach add some good weight. I can tend to get it through the wind decently enough, direct tie on weight and remove slider to throw further. I also like to try to cast in-between wind Gusts, this tends to help a lot. you don't need to get it too far out anyway. 

Edited by Tacoma54

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:29 PM, Tacoma54 said:

With heavy winds i tend to cast 5-6OZ lead minimum, Heavy Jig fishing in canal still works well in the wind. it helps too that i use a century Sling Shot 11' tho :cool:, If fishing  chunks on beach add some good weight. I can tend to get it through the wind decently enough, direct tie on weight and remove slider to throw further. I also like to try to cast in-between wind Gusts, this tends to help a lot. you don't need to get it too far out anyway. 

when I cast at night I tug with fingers on the line after bail is closed.that make sure I have no loop on the spool for next cast.