IcedFlounder

Looking for a new knife

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a new carry knife. I always used Moraknivs and was planning on getting another one. They are inexpensive and reliable. Just wondering what you guys are carrying, any suggestions??

In genreal? For fishing? Wetsuiting?

I have a Aqua Lung Ti on my belt and carry a Spyderco Salt in my bag. I've honestly never used them, they're there for an emergency, not for me to dick around and cut stuff with. 

For general carry i've had some crkt, plain'ol swiss army, etc. Ultimately, I tend to lose those so I don't spend a lot or get too attached to them.

I'd look at a spyderco H1 steel knife before I looked to anything else.  Especially if looking for a quality tool used around salt sand and water

I have a few caspian salts.  Haven't needed anything else since

53 minutes ago, lisurfer49 said:

I just got a benchmade. Haven't really gotten to test it yet but it's pretty impeccable quality and SHARP. 

I carry a Griptilian a lot.It's a nice knife for the money.Once you get used to the Axis Lock it is actually kind of slick.

13 minutes ago, Slammer said:

I carry a Griptilian a lot.It's a nice knife for the money.Once you get used to the Axis Lock it is actually kind of slick.

I like the looks of that one. I need a new folder soon, the tip of my Kershaw broke off but I ground it down to a new point.

Actually for a folder I'd highly recommend the Kershaw I have. Its very slim so it's barely noticeable in your pocket, but really nice quality. I break the tips of all my folders eventually if I don't lose them. I never learn they are not good pry devices, so don't use that as an indicator its a bad knife. I think it's the 'Chill' model. It might be a bit small for fishing purposes though.

I have a medium large (9") hand.  I carry a Buck Vantage in a small because of a few reasons.  

1) it fits my hand well.

2) the clip is flush with the top of the handle and doesn't stick out above the line of my pocket...better concealment.

3) the blade has a small helper like the Kershaws.

4) the blade is thicker and stiffer than other knives.

5) the handle is amply tall and not thin, nor metal and slippery.

6) the knife is inexpensive enough (on the lower models...I have a Pro too, for special occasions) that I can use the handle to leverage beverage caps on bottles without minding a little gouge here or there.

Cons: The drop point is a little drastic and I would prefer something in between this and a leak style knife.  Better poking on the leak style knife without the drop, but the tip of the Vantage is still effective enough for me to not choose, say, the Bucklite, which I have also carried.  I have done my research and have carried about a dozen others, maybe six consistently along the way to my final decision.  I have now carried the Vantage almost exclusively for about 2 years.

Ka-Bar Becker BK9 or the OKC Kukri

I take either one depending on where I am fishing. Either one is fully capable of filleting fish, cutting rope, trimming back thick brush, cleaving the head off a fish, splitting logs when used as a wedge, cleaning and trimming your finger nails, scratching your back, shaving, doubling as a spatula when cooking fish on an open fire water side, felling trees up to 6in in diameter without trouble (though the Kukri excels at this), opening a cold brew, stopping a big foot in its tracks, showing potential muggers what a "real knife" looks like, etc...

They are both also made in the US.

Shop around and you should be able to find either one for $50 to $75.

They won't break or chip, they also hold an edge very well (with the stuff I have put these blades through over the past few years I would know).

4 hours ago, lisurfer49 said:

I I break the tips of all my folders eventually if I don't lose them. I never learn they are not good pry devices, so don't use that as an indicator its a bad knife.

here you have exactly what you need

8 hours ago, IcedFlounder said:

I'm looking for a new carry knife. I always used Moraknivs and was planning on getting another one. They are inexpensive and reliable. Just wondering what you guys are carrying, any suggestions??

So, to clarify, do you mean an EDC?