gray gables

abu garcia 7000

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, handi2 said:

That's normal for that reel. It uses an anti reverse dog. The handle moves back until the ratchet catches the dog.

not back an forth, it moves side to side. Everything is tight but it still moves side to side. 

This reel is not difficult to open up and have a look inside. If you don't have the schematic (exploded parts diagram) you can download it from mikes reel repair. 

You won't need to strip everything. Only remove the handle (one nut and a small cir-clip which you need to be careful with as it tends to fly across the room during removal), star drag and the side plate (2 screws). Just make sure that all the parts shown in the schematic are in the same place in your reel. 

14 hours ago, bunnymoney said:

You are probably missing the 4409 clip that is right under the handle cap. This is the clip Mangrove Jack is referring to.

nope it's not that. I can move the handle and drag handle side to side. The whole mechanism moves side to side.

Have you actually taken the nut off and looked?

The whole drive shaft, drag stack, gear, star, and handle will slide in and out on the post if the 4409 is not in position.

It's possible you have a screw instead of a clip.

If the handle and star are moving around forward/back, up/down, your boss may have come loose from the side plate.

Edited by bunnymoney

1 hour ago, bunnymoney said:

Have you actually taken the nut off and looked?

The whole drive shaft, drag stack, gear, star, and handle will slide in and out on the post if the 4409 is not in position.

It's possible you have a screw instead of a clip.

If the handle and star are moving around forward/back, up/down, your boss may have come loose from the side plate.

it's probably the boss then. I'll have to take it apart and look at it.

Just now, gray gables said:

it's probably the boss then. I'll have to take it apart and look at it.

If it's the boss, you're pretty much screwed. KenD had a tool made to "re-set' the boss into the side plate. He did one for me but it wasn't perfectly square with the side plate and had a little binding and presumably quicker wear on the gears. I did one for myself that turned out much worse than Ken's. You will probably end up seeking a replacement (new/used) side plate.

Good Luck,

Lew:)

12 minutes ago, bunnymoney said:

If it's the boss, you're pretty much screwed. KenD had a tool made to "re-set' the boss into the side plate. He did one for me but it wasn't perfectly square with the side plate and had a little binding and presumably quicker wear on the gears. I did one for myself that turned out much worse than Ken's. You will probably end up seeking a replacement (new/used) side plate.

Good Luck,

if that's the case I'll just take the upgraded parts out an switch them over to one of my other  abu's. 

1 hour ago, bunnymoney said:

Good Luck,

Where is KenD ? I have not seen any activity from him lately ?

3 hours ago, Mangrove Jack said:

Where is KenD ? I have not seen any activity from him lately ?

My last contact with his daughter was about 2 years ago. At that time Ken was facing the Canadian Death Panels. They were refusing to continue rehab therapy after he suffered multiple severe strokes. He was 68-69 at the time.

If anyone has more current information please contact me.

Lew

The boss is attached to the side plate. The gear stem and handle are one unit not attached to the had boss. 

The only piece missing from a gear stem/handle/nut assembly is that "c" clip that attaches to the top of the gear stem, under the cap/nut. 

With out that clip the handle gear assembly will move in and out.

The boss, if it is loose can be epoxied into place. It doesn't serve any purpose other than a housing

2 hours ago, jimmy z said:

The boss is attached to the side plate. The gear stem and handle are one unit not attached to the had boss. 

The only piece missing from a gear stem/handle/nut assembly is that "c" clip that attaches to the top of the gear stem, under the cap/nut. 

With out that clip the handle gear assembly will move in and out.

The boss, if it is loose can be epoxied into place. It doesn't serve any purpose other than a housing

jimmy, I have to disagree here. The boss holds the drive shaft in alignment to the brake plate. Some model years used a plastic bushing in the boss for a bearing, other years used a ball bearing, and current years use the AR roller bearing pressed into the boss. If the boss is not square with the plate it will not work properly.