Baccigalup

Cicada killer bees

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Anyone else have these?   Hate them.  Killed  over a  hundred last  year with my racquet.  Got 5 this year so far.  Less holes than last year too.  Wierd how many come back to the same hole.  Got two trying to find their nest under my fire pit from last year which is now under 2 feet of stone.  Definetly homing type bees.  

8 minutes ago, Adam-_888 said:

fill the holes with dish soap at dusk. 

Never tried that. Does it kill them.  Those holes are deep and two sided.    7 down now.  More fun to swat them.

1 minute ago, Baccigalup said:

Never tried that. Does it kill them.  Those holes are deep and two sided.    7 down now.  More fun to swat them.

Yeah an old farmer told me to do it. Worked on the ones we had that lived in holes in our front yard.

Just now, Gotcow? said:

They are not bees.

They are wasps and they are beneficial.

I am sure they are but when they make my hard kept lawn look like bunnker hill its time to go

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have about twenty five killed in the last two days. First couple  of years it was cool to watch them feed but that was maybe two or three holes. Now they are trying to over take the yard. Might try the dish soap. And my weapon of choice is a lacrosse stick or my hat to knock them down and then stomp em into the turf!

Edited by Shawn Bell

The males will dive bomb you to scare you.  I have had them buzz my head and bounce off me while I swing and miss.  Never got them pissed off enough to sting me, not sure I want to feel it, especially since they can take down a huge cicada.   I think you really have to get them going to sting you.   They are fast and great at out manuvering you. and  hard to hit while buzzing you.   I got it down to a science now,  cover their holes so they cant get in so fast, watch them fly around the yard, follow them till they land and then   I usually smack them with the racquet then stomp them.   Other times ill wait for the cicada to scream then wait a few minutes and look for the golf ball  flying through the air and get them when they land.  Neighbors do it too so I am not the only strange guy running around his yard chasing wasps.      Beats the days when  I used to pour gasoline in the holes and light them up, or flood the holes and watch my yard turn to mud.   You live and learn.   lol.....damn bees    ...er wasps.  And they snap and pop when you burn them.   Just saying...