MagicDrop

Questions?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I am new to surfcasting and altogether marine fishing (have done freshwater since I was a kid). 

I was at Jones Beach today with my son at field 10 on the docks. And saw people fishing for a few different things. I have a few questions.

People near the start of the dock we're pulling in these little fish. 1 what are they called? 2 how do I tie a rig so my son can fish for them? I noticed they had no bait they were just bobbing like 6 hooks on a line up and down.

What should I be buying to fish for Stripers and Blues? Also how should I be rigging it?

The fishermen/ fisherwomen  were using sabiki  rigs jigging this time of the year probably for real small snappers, baby blue fish....Then they probably live lined these snappers to go for blues or stripers..I comes with a swivel that you attach to your fishing line. On the bottom of the rig there is a snap to attach a one ounce weight. And you just jig up and down... For what you should purchase all depends on what you own now. 

Ok, get a couple of sabiki in various sizes,twelve and ten size hooks. Some some spoons in two and three ounce...  The spoons will serve two purposes, casting for Blues and Stripers, also for snagging Bunker for bait....

Magic,

As a father who regularly takes his 10 and 6 year old fishing, I'm happy to chime in here.

Don't over-complicate with a sabiki...lots of little hooks means lots of tangles and forget having your son fish with it.

Go to any Walmart or B&T shop and buy the smallest hooks you can find like a #10 .. the snappers are basically "micro" snappers at this point.

Get yourself a small bobber ( I like them with weight ) here is an example = HERE

Now here is where my advice is going to differ from everyone else ( unless you have a killie or minnow trap which means free bait ) - dont bother with that frozen brick garbage. Here is the ticket for me -you may need to go to DICKS to find it, but go buy a small jar of Berkley GULP Alive 1 inch minnow (any color) - has to be the GULP Alive and come in a jar of their secret sauce..and it must be the 1 inch (no bigger).

Each of those soft plastics will last you about 4-5 fish if your smart when you de-hook the snapper. I will usually fish for about 2 hours with my kids and go through about 4 GULP Alive and although its pretty mindless snapper fishing by any fisherman's standards...I will still outfish everyone using that frozen brick garbage. 

Key is you have to "pop" the rig when you cast... just cast.. pop a few times..let it settle... pop a few times... let it settle...keep repeating.

IF YOU ARE AT JONES BEACH DOCK

Now... after you score your micro snapper, take one and make some mini-fillet strip baits... slap that on a bucktail and cast out bouncing along the bottom to score small fluke and sea robbins. Not sure how young your son is.. getting the feel for a bucktail bouncing on the bottom may take some practice for a young child.. if that is the case, you do it... while they are snapper fishing,

I personally find the end of August early September is when the Snappers mature to size for fun fishing.. but alas.. the kiddies go back to school by then.

Tight lines

Yes good advice from Baldonis. 

Another no brainer with kids and it should work there is to get a chum pot, fill it with a block of Frozen Clams. Tie a tandem two hook rig or buy a Porgie rig or two. Fish in on the bottom with 1-2oz in the JB Pier area and you should get anything that swims by from Porgies, Snappers and Sea Robins, Fluke and maybe even a kingfish or blowfish. I did just this last week on a pier on the North Shore and we even got a 23" Striper in the middle of the day. Try both tactics. 

Probably easiest thing to do and most fun for kid is make up some high low rigs with small #6-8 hooks.. 1-3 oz sinker on the bottom depending how fast water moving and some small pieces of clam on the hooks.. I would go like 1 hour before high tide and fish through slack tide till the outgoing gets to fast...  good luck 

Go to a local tackle shop--explain your situation--they will inform you what the fish are and tell you what you need to purchase-they have the best local knowledge-and its nice to support local tackle shops--just my opinion--rreelman