StickinLips

Seals

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Caught a big striper, could've been my PB, 15 yds from landing her, and she launches out of the water. When she hits the water again I try to turn her, she won't budge. That's when a massive seal pops up and has the fish sideways in it's mouth, looks right at me, dives and takes off. My drag starts screaming had to cup the spool and luckily it broke my line at the leader.  Didn't see a seal all morning long, things are a menace. I actually feel bad for the fish, all I wanted was a quick pic and it ended being a sea rats breakfast, things are a nuisance.

11 hours ago, greenhornet73 said:

Sure hope the GW's make a dent in them this year since we can't

Unfortunately, with the typical predator/prey relationship, the sharks won't make any dent that you will ever be able to see.  

The only good grey seal, on the east coast, is one floating with a big bite in it.  It's a scourge.

Messed up too.  Many Cape beaches are virtually off limits to sensible swimming.

Spent a week there last year.  Days you could 'safely' swim at the beaches, 1 out of 7.  Just a bad week, probly not.  Sign of things to come.  No more swimming at the Cape beaches, seal and shark watching will be the order of the day.

20 hours ago, greenhornet73 said:

Sure hope the GW's make a dent in them this year since we can't

One GW for maybe every 300 seals.

Got to eat some seal meat (raw) last night at an Inuit event in Montreal. Not saying its for everyone, but I'd describe it as 99% "seafood", 1% "meat".

If you like a real "taste of the sea", I recommend it.  Either way, I recommend we try and create a demand driven market for it.

Like said, make it worth somethig to someone and they will find a way - sometimes a little faster than waiting for mother nature to figure it out.

If we can figure out a way to make seals worth more dead than alive to the state, greed and capitalism might take over and then the state would finally invent a false reason to lower the population with the real intention being selfish gain.

Using this state's evil nature to our advantage could be a good strategy. Hey wait... I think my first sentence is my new PB for length. Lol!

On 7/31/2017 at 3:36 PM, StickinLips said:

Caught a big striper, could've been my PB, 15 yds from landing her, and she launches out of the water. When she hits the water again I try to turn her, she won't budge. That's when a massive seal pops up and has the fish sideways in it's mouth, looks right at me, dives and takes off. My drag starts screaming had to cup the spool and luckily it broke my line at the leader.  Didn't see a seal all morning long, things are a menace. I actually feel bad for the fish, all I wanted was a quick pic and it ended being a sea rats breakfast, things are a nuisance.

Cool story btw. Thank for sharing.

5 hours ago, night owl said:

If we can figure out a way to make seals worth more dead than alive to the state, greed and capitalism might take over and then the state would finally invent a false reason to lower the population with the real intention being selfish gain.

Using this state's evil nature to our advantage could be a good strategy. Hey wait... I think my first sentence is my new PB for length. Lol!

The state can't do anything. Seals are protected by the Federal MMPA--Marine Mammal Protection Act. 

Well the Feds should revisit it then.  One problem is it would be the lowest of the low in terms of priority.   One possibility of seals being worth more dead than alive would be when no beaches are safe to swim and people stop coming to the cape.   It's a big problem for sure