Meat Grinder

Rate this topic

On 8/4/2017 at 6:54 AM, Steve in Mass said:

I have a recipe for a garlic pork kielbasa if you are interested. This is for fresh kielbasa, haven't gotten to the point of doing a smoked version.

Thanks very much SIM

Sure, your recipe for garlic pork kielbasa sounds great, I would be interested thank you

• 4 months later...
On 8/4/2017 at 6:54 AM, Steve in Mass said:

Okay, said I would try to get back to this.

First thing.......when you are about done with your grind, use some day or 2 old bread and run that thru the grinder. It will push the last bit of meat out of the screw and tube, and when you see white, you know that is the bread. The other thing it does is adsorb some of the congealed fat from the innards, making it somewhat easier to clean.

Be conscious of your lean/fat ratios. It will obviously depend on what you plan on employing the ground meat for, but for things like burgers, sausage, and kielbasa, 80/20 is a good standard. With kielbasa, I will usually go with even a bit more fat. I usually prep my own stuff separating the leans from fat as I cut it up, weigh each, and do the math, If I find I need more fat (usually), for pork I always have some pork fat or rendered fat back in the freezer, with beef, I have suet, to make up the difference.

And your die size also depends on the application, but unless you are making bologna or hot dogs, the finest die that came with the kit likely gets the least use. I find a courser grind for burgers, meatloaf, or basa/sausage gives a better product.

I have a recipe for a garlic pork kielbasa if you are interested. This is for fresh kielbasa, haven't gotten to the point of doing a smoked version.

Would appreciate any recipes SIM or anybody else has, will be trying the meat grinder soon.

Okay, this is for 10 pounds of meat made into fresh garlic kielbasa. When I say "fresh" I mean not smoked. I have never gotten to the smoking type as that requires saltpeter and some know how to keep it safe.

I use fresh Boston Butt (Pork Shoulder) and butcher it myself cutting out the silver skin and other gristle type stuff, and separating the fat from the lean the best you can. There will be some fat that is marbled into the lean, but unless you get real fussy, it is not worth taking it out separately, and you just have to estimate the ratio of fat/lean in those parts.

I weigh out the lean and then weigh out the fat, do some math, and make sure I have at least 80/20 if not 75/25. If I am short (usually am) I add more fat, either pork fat I have saved or asked the butcher for, or beef suet.

Place all your metal grinder parts in the freezer while you are cutting up the meat. And also throw the meat and fat in the freezer for perhaps an hour so, not to freeze it solid but just to make it stiffer. The colder your product and equipment is the easier time you will have grinding.

Grind the meat to the texture you like, I prefer a bit course, alternating chunks of lean and fat. Once the last bit has gone in the grinder, stick a hunk of french or Italian type bred in and grind that. It will force the rest of the meat thru, and you stop when you see the white color of the bread (a tad in the mix won't hurt anything). Run the rest of the bread thru into a scrap bowl. The bonus here is the bread adsorbs some of the residual fat on the surface of you machine, giving you a head start on cleaning it.

The recipe below comes from a sausage guru book that Digger had lent me for a short time years back. I kick up some of the amounts but that is to taste.

To the meat you are going to add:

1 Pint Ice Cold Water

5 Tablespoons kosher salt

1 tablespoon sugar

1 to 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper

3-4 teaspoons marjoram

2 Tablespoons garlic powder

2 Tablespoons onion powder

And then fresh garlic.....I would use up to two full heads for 10 pounds, but that is up to you...I would say at least one head....peeled and crushhed thru a press.

I find you get the best distribution of the herbs and spices if you mix them all into the water, and then dump it all over the meat. Work the water and seasoning evenly through without turn your grind into mush.

Re-chill your meat and equipment, and then stuff the meat into casings. You can use the bread trick again when you near the end. 

I tie them off in about 1 foot links, and then hang them over a PVC pole to dry in a cool dry place for about a day....in the winter a 3 season porch works.

Then I package them up, vac pac and freeze (keeping one serving for immediate consumption.)

Cooking - I usually steam them for a bit and then brown them off on a griddle or on the grill, and serve over sauerkraut, good horseradih and good Polish or German Mustard on the side.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

If you are serious, and if you have a grinder, you probably are, buy the book Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman.  It's invaluable if you are going to get into this.  I've made most of the sausage recipes and many of others.  He tends to use a little more salt than I like, I back down the amount of salt by 5 grams from what he recommends.

also, take the stuffer attachment and through it in the trash.  Get a 5lb vertical stuffer, sportsman's guide has one for like $80.  Real casings are not hard to use, with exception of the thin lamb/sheep ones for hotdogs, those are a pain.   But your run of the mill hog middles are no big deal.

"all of jase's posts are valid." -Otter

On 29 December 2017 at 8:18 AM, JaseB said:

If you are serious, and if you have a grinder, you probably are, buy the book Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman.  It's invaluable if you are going to get into this.  I've made most of the sausage recipes and many of others.  He tends to use a little more salt than I like, I back down the amount of salt by 5 grams from what he recommends.

also, take the stuffer attachment and through it in the trash.  Get a 5lb vertical stuffer, sportsman's guide has one for like $80.  Real casings are not hard to use, with exception of the thin lamb/sheep ones for hotdogs, those are a pain.   But your run of the mill hog middles are no big deal.

Thanks JaseB, great advice, greatly appreciated mate.  :th:      :howdy:

Amazon should be opening in Melbourne soon, hopefully they'll stock the book

Charcuterie—a culinary specialty that originally referred to the creation of pork products such as salami, sausages, and prosciutto—is true food craftsmanship, the art of turning preserved food into items of beauty and taste. Today the term encompasses a vast range of preparations, most of which involve salting, cooking, smoking, and drying. In addition to providing classic recipes for sausages, terrines, and pâtés, Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn expand the definition to include anything preserved or prepared ahead such as Mediterranean olive and vegetable rillettes, duck confit, and pickles and sauerkraut. Ruhlman, coauthor of The French Laundry Cookbook, and Polcyn, an expert charcuterie instructor at Schoolcraft College in Livonia, Michigan, present 125 recipes that are both intriguing to professionals and accessible to home cooks, including salted, airdried ham; Maryland crab, scallop, and saffron terrine; Da Bomb breakfast sausage; mortadella and soppressata; and even spicy smoked almonds. 50 line drawings

image.jpg

2 hours ago, JaseB said:

And it's not a meat mincer, it's a grinder you limey bastid!

Thing is, he is likely one of the few of us that ever had true mince meat pie..... ;)

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

Haven't had mincemeat pie in 50 years.  Maybe wasn't a true mincemeat pie as my Grandmother only used suet.  All of us kids ranked it right up there with her fruit cake with hard sauce.  Luckily she made a lot of pies and apple cherry and pumpkin were always around too.  I still remember her putting all that dried fruit through a hand grinder though.  Think one of my kids still has it.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black