MickAff

Meat Grinder

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Cut the meat into strips, season it then lay it out on a pan or sheet of tin foil, cover with tin foil and put it into the freezer until it's ice cold and the edges are starting to freeze

Put the grinding attachment into the freezer as well

Ice cold is key. If you don't do that the meat develops a nasty grainy texture as it goes through the grinder

Have a small hot frying pan ready and cook up the first bit that goes through, taste it and adjust the seasonings - move fast while everything is still cold

Start with loose sausage, work your way up to links. Avoid natural casings to start, really hard to get them right. My attempts have been an inedible case of armor around the link, go with the collagen casings, pretty infallible. 

Wrap links in brown butcher paper, or cut up paper bag if you can't find non plastic coated butcher paper, and refrigerate at least overnight to allow them to dry a bit or the steam from the excess moisture will cause them to burst while you cook them.

Grind your own hamburger. I keep an eye out for sales, cheap london broil is common and works well (but sirloin is awesome). Ask the butcher for clean pork fat (give it a sniff and make sure there's no beef suet accidently mixed in - trust me! :upck:). Trim the meat really well and use the pork fat. The fat should be cold but not frozen, feed it in right along withe the meat to avoid having to mix too much, the less you handle the final product the better the texture. 

For bacon burgers cook the bacon until it's rubbery but cooked and grind that in. You don't want uncooked bacon in the middle of a rare burger.

Boneless chicken thighs grind up into excellent chicken burger and chicken sausage with minimal work, just trim off the excess fat on the edges and make sure that little blob of cartridge from the knee joint has been removed. Treat it the same way as beef or pork with the pre spicing and freezer thing - made a chicken sausage meatloaf the other day they was ridiculously good.

Also, I staple a shroud of plastic wrap over the head of the grinding attachment that guides the ground meat into the bowl and keeps the meat juice from spraying around the area. makes for a much easier cleanup.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Australia......... since we share an completely different common language - the American term "London Broil" is a fancy name for a cheap shoulder cut

Edited by Sudsy

Not sure Sudsy got the joke, and I apologize in advance if the OP is serious, but it is just TOOOOOO coincidental........ 

Meat mincer examined in Australian plot to bring down plane with bomb or poison gas

Security has been increased at Sydney Airport since Thursday because of the plot and has since been increased in all major Australian international and domestic terminals

PUBLISHED : Monday, 31 July, 2017, 10:31am
UPDATED : Monday, 31 July, 2017, 9:10pm

fd25d38a-7593-11e7-84d9-df29f06febc3_128

Four men accused of plotting to bring down a plane planned to use poisonous gas or a crude bomb disguised as a meat mincer, reports said Monday, with Australian officials calling preparations “advanced”.

The men – reportedly two Lebanese-Australian fathers and their sons – were arrested in raids across Sydney on Saturday evening.

The Sydney Daily Telegraph said they allegedly planned to carry the device on board a commercial flight from Sydney to a Middle East destination as hand luggage.

It said the idea was to use wood scrapings and explosive material inside a piece of kitchen equipment such as a mincing machine.

The Sydney Morning Herald also reported that a mincer was being examined, while The Australian newspaper cited multiple sources as saying it was a “non-traditional” device that could have emitted a toxic sulphur-based gas.

55417226-7595-11e7-84d9-df29f06febc3_1320x770_173953.jpg

This, it said, would have killed or immobilised everyone on the aircraft.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said the plans were “advanced” but refused to comment on the conflicting claims over the method of attack.

“I have to respect the integrity of the investigations,” he said. “But I can say that certainly the police will allege they had the intent and were developing the capability.

“There will obviously be more to say over coming days. It will be alleged that this was an Islamist, extremist terrorist motivation.”

21b27ab4-7594-11e7-84d9-df29f06febc3_1320x770_173953.jpg

Australian Federal Police Commissioner Andrew Colvin on Sunday said the aviation industry was potentially a target and that an improvised explosive device was involved.

Justice Minister Michael Keenan on Monday called the plans “quite sophisticated”.

“It was a plot to bring down an aircraft with the idea of smuggling a device on to it to enable them to do that,” he said.

A magistrate late Sunday gave police an additional seven days to detain the men, who have not been officially named, without charge.

Police continued to gather evidence on Monday at the five homes raided, warning the investigation would be “very long and protracted”.

33d399da-7594-11e7-84d9-df29f06febc3_1320x770_173953.jpg

TV footage on Saturday showed riot police moving on a town house in the inner-city suburb of Surry Hills, with a man with a bandage on his head being led away by authorities, draped in a blanket.

A woman at the address denied they had any link to terrorism.

Security has been strengthened at major domestic and international airports across Australia since the raids, with passengers asked to arrive early and to limit their baggage.

Australia’s national terror alert level was raised on September 2014 amid concerns over attacks by individuals inspired by organisations such as Islamic State.

A total of 12 attacks, before the latest one, have been prevented in the past few years, while 70 people have been charged.

Several terror attacks have taken place in Australia in recent years, including a Sydney cafe siege in 2014 that saw two hostages killed.

This article appeared in the South China Morning Post print edition as:
Details emerge of Australian plane plot

The OP was serious, but I got your reference SIM :howdy:

Thanks Sudsy for your advice and tips, much appreciated mate!!!

I'll try and post pics when I give it a go 

:laugh: .....Okay my screw :o up but it was so weird that I heard the above story on the radio early in the AM, came home, and saw your post

I have some suggestions, but they will have to wait until have more time and can actually type......(been a long day....shopping for used cars sucks)

Okay, said I would try to get back to this.

First thing.......when you are about done with your grind, use some day or 2 old bread and run that thru the grinder. It will push the last bit of meat out of the screw and tube, and when you see white, you know that is the bread. The other thing it does is adsorb some of the congealed fat from the innards, making it somewhat easier to clean.

Be conscious of your lean/fat ratios. It will obviously depend on what you plan on employing the ground meat for, but for things like burgers, sausage, and kielbasa, 80/20 is a good standard. With kielbasa, I will usually go with even a bit more fat. I usually prep my own stuff separating the leans from fat as I cut it up, weigh each, and do the math, If I find I need more fat (usually), for pork I always have some pork fat or rendered fat back in the freezer, with beef, I have suet, to make up the difference.

And your die size also depends on the application, but unless you are making bologna or hot dogs, the finest die that came with the kit likely gets the least use. I find a courser grind for burgers, meatloaf, or basa/sausage gives a better product.

I have a recipe for a garlic pork kielbasa if you are interested. This is for fresh kielbasa, haven't gotten to the point of doing a smoked version.

And if you do an advanced search here, with the Member name of "Digger" or "Bruce in RI", and use keywords like kielbasa or sausage, you will find some good threads, and a suggestion for a book that the name escapes me.

Edited by Steve in Mass