8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi Everyone - i'm just starting my bass fishing adventure and would like some advices and tips. *

I'm used to fish peacock bass in Brazil and love the idea to catch some basses over here. Fish On 
I live in Union City - NJ and just realized that i have some lakes close by and they have a lot of basses. 
So, i'll try to catch some. 

Considering that we are close to spring, how should be my approach in terms of baits, best period of day, how fast should work the baits, etc... 

Anyone has experience with bass fishing in NJ or NY? i want to explore a little bit more around. 
Now i live if Vietnam
Thank you guys in advance. 
Jack.

Edited by TimS
Seems like you came here to promote your store .

I think one bait that you cannot go wrong with is a 5 inch zoom super fluke in the smokin shad color. I usually fish it texas rigged without the weight and twitch it every 5 or 8 seconds. Another lure that always catches me bass is a silver or gold rooster tail retrieve at a medium or slow speed, I use the south bend lunker bass roostertail.

Best time is normally just at sunrise for about 3 hours.  This is the daily peak activity time for bass on a year round basis.  Right now bass are at their peak metabolism so they are feeding.  Try the In-Fisherman book on largemouth.  Have fun.

ohhh great advice :)) i must try that and show my trophy with you hiha. thank you so much.

10 hours ago, Paul_M said:

Best time is normally just at sunrise for about 3 hours.  This is the daily peak activity time for bass on a year round basis.  Right now bass are at their peak metabolism so they are feeding.  Try the In-Fisherman book on largemouth.  Have fun.

22 hours ago, strike master said:

I think one bait that you cannot go wrong with is a 5 inch zoom super fluke in the smokin shad color. I usually fish it texas rigged without the weight and twitch it every 5 or 8 seconds. Another lure that always catches me bass is a silver or gold rooster tail retrieve at a medium or slow speed, I use the south bend lunker bass roostertail.

Thank you so much  ;))) 

For baits start with a yammamoto senko or similar stick baits on a medium rod with 10 to 15lb flouro. If you like moving baits a 3-4" paddle tail bait like a keitch are killer. For some real excitement get a topwater like a spro hollow body frog or a walk the dog bait like a zara spook. Hope this is a good start. PM for more info

10 hours ago, Neil Gordon said:

For baits start with a yammamoto senko or similar stick baits on a medium rod with 10 to 15lb flouro. If you like moving baits a 3-4" paddle tail bait like a keitch are killer. For some real excitement get a topwater like a spro hollow body frog or a walk the dog bait like a zara spook. Hope this is a good start. PM for more info

In my experience if you're new to bass fishing it's hard to go wrong with a senko or similar stick bait. Texas Rigged if you're fishing a snaggy area or wacky rigged if you're not. Good luck.

If you've fished peacock bass that's probably a good start. What were you going after them with?

Edited by Doug.Hill