Mummichog

Anyone Have a Battery Explode?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

It happened to us this morning.  My son was testing out our trolling motor in our basement.  He twisted the throttle and the prop spun just fine.  He shut it off.  Then, sparks from the post and boom.  It literally blew the whole top off and pieces of battery were all over the basement.  It sounded like an m-80.  My son was OK, but he did get some cuts on his face from shrapnel.  There was also acid all over our floor.  Scary for sure.  Was this a defect with the battery or just a "sh1t happens" thing?  

Thank God he wasn't leaning over it while it exploded.  Could have been blinded, disfigured or killed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, makomakoman said:

years and years ago...

Thank goodness your son is ok.  It should not explode...never..

Should not, but they do. More often than you probably think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup. It doesn't happen a lot nowadays due to batteries being better constructed but it DOES happen. Your son using the battery created chemical reactions inside the battery which is perfectly normal. Being inside though the gases won't dissipate as quickly (they ARE vented) as they would outside in the air. All it takes is a spark.

Glad to know he's ok. Lucky feller.

One of my high school buds had one blow up in his face. Lost an eye and has some disfigurement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, I remember a battery blew up in the janitors hands when I was in 5th grade, poor guy got acid all over his hands and neck and was screaming in pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, had one go boom a few years back. Put a crease in the hood.

Electrons moving from the acid to the plates creates hydrogen gas.

Get the right ratio of gas to air with a spark and it will ignite.......

Usually will happen with low electrolyte levels in the battery.

Glad the kid is OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about charging?  We have a battery charger in the basement.  We don't want to charge outside in case it rains.  We usually charge at night so it's charged for our morning fishing.

Is the manufacturer responsible for anything in this situation?  At the least, I'm out a battery.  At worst, I could have a seriously hurt child.  Would they step up if I needed serious medical treatment?   Or is this just something that happens and they have a warning on the battery?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had one in the father-in-laws car go boom. Battery was rapidly discharged and we did not take precautions to vent the battery when we were jumping it. No one got hurt but it was spectacular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never charge a battery indoors!!!! During the charging process hydrogen gas is created. Remember the Hindenburg?  It seems like the spark would have had to be caused by a loose connection. Was he unclipping battery clamps or moving it in any way when it went BOOM?

  Glad he is O.K.  I am sorry to say I think this was operator error. Batteries when handled properly seldom go BOOM.

 jIM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember seeing one explode on my uncle, when he was doing something under the hood of a car at the gas pumps in his station, maybe 50 years ago. He dunked his whole head in the bucket of water we used to wash windshields. Luckily he didn't get any in his eyes, only the side of his face.

It happens nowadays when idiots cross-connect jumper cables and make sparks. They've even tried making the job more idiot proof by color coding everything, but some still manage to screw it up.That's why they tell you to ground the last negative connector to an exposed metal part away from the battery. But connecting it to the negative terminal of the dead battery is fine if you do it carefully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The battery was a ValuePower 600 CCA.  Group size 24F.

The alligator clips were correctly connected.  Red on the "+" post and black on the "-" post.  Perhaps on of the clips was a little loose?  Because it did spark a little before the explosion.

But, sparks do happen.  I have wiggled the clips of the charger to get a better connection on occasion and have had it spark.  This is with me leaning right over the battery.  If that is all it takes to make a battery explode, I'm lucky to be alive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.