bonefishdick

Sun & Wind Today 07-30-2017

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think today will close out July for me. My wife told me there was a Jack & Jill baby shower that she had to attend and I think she knew I was not doing that so my daughter accompanied her, I love that girl.

I knew today was going to be windy and with the forecast calling for strong NE winds I decided  to leave early and I was in the water around 7:30. I was back at the same place that was very good to me the other day and I figured that some of the fish had to be still around. I also started with an Olive & White clouser and did not get any hits and the whole time I was using it I just had this feeling in the back of my mind I should be using my Tuttie Frutti fly again. I finally made the switch and it did not take long.

P1080708sol.JPG.f7427be3151258e3814127a7a4c3bcbb.JPG

P1080709sol.JPG.cba2e3fd78b5284e4d3c12cbcbc5af6e.JPG

The fish were all in the same size bracket and while it was not as hectic as the other day it was consistent enough that the wind was not as noticeable and I got the back cast thing going very well today. 

I fished from 7:30 to 10:30 and with the tide getting to a stage that just was not productive I opted for a break with the plan being to come back later in the afternoon after the tide had a chance to flood back in some. I decided to get a coffee and a snack and take a break at the canal and relax white I did my thing.

When I parked the car I noticed a group of people and as I watched I soon realized they all had one thing in common. It just made me think that this is way to common now. They might well have stayed home.

P1080713sol.JPG.56a1d7c0ed65427b335ff7d67898a164.JPG

I was back in the water at 1:30 and again the Tutti Frutti worked,

P1080715sol.JPG.dcf71750fcf03f4826de683f39c47309.JPG

I soon decide to go to a traditional Chartreuse & White and that worked as well, From that point I tried one more fly when things got quiet and it did pick up a couple more fish on a Sand Eel pattern I made a few years ago.

P1080717sol.JPG.ac3e68bea253d849f8c3190e1bcbd12e.JPG

It was another good day and I knew I was pushing things a bit when I could start to feel the arm getting a little tender and I opted to call it a day and  More than likely I will be taking a few days off because there is still a lot of season left.

Edited by bonefishdick

Great trip report. Thanks for posting! Really like reading them. It sure does inspire me to want to fish more in the salt. 

Just starting to learn what I don't need. lol 

Glad you had a good day. As for those nose in the phone folks, well, they don't know what they're missing :)

Keep the reports coming.

Hi Dick,

nice report! I have to put stripers on my bucket list.

Dominique and me will probably be back at Sanibel the first two weeks of May 2018...hopefully with better conditions than his year.

Regards and have a nice day

Andreas

Andreas, thanks for the nice words, that is great that you both may be back in May. It would be great to see you and Dominique again.

I will say packing for Florida is not as difficult as packing for New England because of the extra gear that would be needed (waders etc.) not t mention clothes to keep you warm. I think you would really enjoy it. 

the kids at the picnic table.... they were there for the legendary pokemon raid,  that spot is the site of a pokemon gym....  having an 11 yr old allows me to know this :wee:

Nice fish BFD :clap: 

On 7/30/2017 at 8:00 PM, bonefishdick said:

When I parked the car I noticed a group of people and as I watched I soon realized they all had one thing in common. It just made me think that this is way to common now. They might well have stayed home.

P1080713sol.JPG.56a1d7c0ed65427b335ff7d67898a164.JPG

If only some took a picture of you taking a picture of them...

5 hours ago, catchit said:

If only some took a picture of you taking a picture of them...

I wonder what the caption would be !