RKG1

What size mono for backing?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

If I am using 40 lb braid, do I use 40 lb mono as a backer?  Seems like others are using lighter mono than the braid it is backing up.  40 lb mono would be way thicker diameter than 40 lb braid.  Does that matter?  Otherwise, why wouldn't you just use the same line strength for both?  Why have a weak link for the rare time you get spooled down to the mono?  My questions aren't meant to be argumentative, I really am wondering why?

(Yes, I know I posted this same question in response to a topic below.  I am reposting so as not to hijack a thread.)

Posted (edited) · Report post

I use 40lb braid with 30lb mono backing. I put on just enough backing to give the braid something to hold onto so the braid doesn't spin on the spool. Occasionally I put a little more mono on to better fill up the spool, especially if I had a few breakoffs.

If I get spooled to the backing by a fish I'm most like losing that fish so I'm not too worried about the pound test of my backing.

Edited by zak-striper

How many yards of braid are you using? If you are putting on 300 yrds of braid you can use 20. If a fish takes 300yrds of line, it's probably not your fish.

I use 20lb mono.  It's plenty strong if you ever get all the way down to the backing.  Also, 40lb mono isn't necessarily the same breaking strength as 40 lb braid.  

On my 200,250 and 275 VSs, I use 30# mono for backing my 20# Fireline. I use 30# mono because I have two 1 pound spools of it. Just fill the backing till the 300yds of braid will fill the reel.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I agree with 20 lb test...but with one caveat...if you're only using a few wraps of mono, as a means of basically preventing the braid from spinning around the arbor, it actually doesn't matter (in fact a lot of people place a piece of tape around the arbor to achieve the same purpose)...but if you're using a good measurable amount to fill up some space, the 20 lb is probably the best answer

Edited by albacized

6 hours ago, Uptovt said:

I'd do half of what your braid to mono. You'll never get to it....

Until you do when you hook something you didn't expect to hook :b: 

17 minutes ago, fdhog said:

Also, you don't need to put as much mono on the spool if you use the same or heavier test.

Yes, and in relating that to my last comment on this thread (i.e. it doesn't matter if you're only looking to put on a few wraps to help prevent the braid from.slipping)....thats under the assumption that you don't do something stupid, like use 6 lb mono

I used 15lb for backing This last time because i couldn't find the 20. 30# Braid laid in nice over top of it. Got about 280yds to strip before it gets to it, so figured it should be fine. Unless the tuna decide to show up in the surf in S. NJ.