mark d

ssv gear upgrade

15 posts in this topic

finally got to the states and picked up the clash gear upgrade for my ssv 6500. very nice and smooth. used one shim. the thinner one. i think this is now a lifetime reel. maybe it was before, but i do like the upgrade

hey hanlon, they give you a choice of the "brass" or aluminum and i chose "brass". now here is what i do not understand. i think normal brass would be too soft for this application. penn used bronze for gears in the older spins and still does in the torque and probably other reels (slammer ?). i suspect the metal is some type of proprietary "brass".  on the other hand i am not a metallurgist so what the hell do i know

also i was surprised the pinion was "brass" and not stainless, however not complaining, i am sure they know what they are doing.....finished product is super smooth 

Curious, as to why you guys are doing this as opposed to buying the clash.   Is it because you already have the SSV or because the SSV is better with the gear upgrade than the clash?   Just wondering since I'm about to pull the trigger on a clash.   Thanks.

in my case both. i already owned the ssv and i believe it to be more of a surf reel then the clash. it is partially sealed and is a heavy duty reel.  however i have never even had a clash in my hand so take my answer with a grain of salt at least.  will you be fishing your clash in the surf ? 

8 hours ago, d.weglarz13 said:

Curious, as to why you guys are doing this as opposed to buying the clash.   Is it because you already have the SSV or because the SSV is better with the gear upgrade than the clash?   Just wondering since I'm about to pull the trigger on a clash.   Thanks.

In my case it's because I have the SSV. In the case of owning a SSV 5500, like I do, I prefer the brass over the aluminum gears. The clash 5000 comes with aluminum gears. If it's in your budget go for the Slammer

Well, not to hijack the thread, but yes, I'm talking about primarily surf.   Although I don't plan on dunking it.  

I was originally thinking about the slammer, but I want the 5000ish size, and I don't 4x4.   I walk up and down the beach, and throw only plugs, so the Clash seemed like a better deal due to how light it is compared to the SSV and slammer.  

Now I'm wondering, I thought the clash came with the brass gears.   Guess not.   Then, why upgrade to the clash gears then?   Thanks, I'll start a new thread so as to not get too off track on this one.   I appreciate it.

dave

On 7/31/2017 at 8:39 AM, mark d said:

hey hanlon, they give you a choice of the "brass" or aluminum and i chose "brass". now here is what i do not understand. i think normal brass would be too soft for this application. penn used bronze for gears in the older spins and still does in the torque and probably other reels (slammer ?). i suspect the metal is some type of proprietary "brass".  on the other hand i am not a metallurgist so what the hell do i know

also i was surprised the pinion was "brass" and not stainless, however not complaining, i am sure they know what they are doing.....finished product is super smooth 

I know that some paperwork from the old reels says bronze, but they are brass in most cases.  Both are good for the application, bronze is better of course.  You get a smoothness using two different materials, SS pinion, and brass main and zero chance of galling and fretting on the gears as long as there is some grease.

thks for the explanation. i have noticed in the older reels and the torque for example, the gears have what i consider a bronze color (same as the props on my ship) where as the clash gears i bought really do have a brass color to them.

you sound like you know what you are talking about.  what does galling and fretting mean ? what is your opinion of the pinion and gears being the same material ?  

thks

I was one of the first people to get the clash gears in my 4500 and although at first I had to get it adjusted but now it has been very smooth and worth the upgrade. I also got a slammer 5500 for my 10' penn carnage II surf- balances very nice on it-  Now I have to find ways to use the 4500 :)