Dirty Walter

Albie and Bonito timing

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

Fished from about 7am until around 11am  today out in the yak. Low to high.  Saw some albies/ bones breach near me early and then no sign for the rest of the morning. Just a pod of like 4 or 5 is what it looked like.  A huge mass of peanuts did come out of nowhere but nothing blowing up on them... try again Sunday if the whether permits.

I was out in Nar. Bay today and lots of peanuts but no funny fish.   I've been seeing peanuts everywhere.  I too got sea robins, along with scup, small sea bass, and two small fluke.  Fun, but no bragging rights with my fishing today. 

according to our local blogger all the talk of albies and bones are lies! they will not be here till september... :witty:

Spent a lot of time around the waters of jamestown and portsmouth  on friday and so no bait of breaking fish anywhere.  I wasnt fishing, just spending family time.

Edited by Kooky

1 hour ago, Kooky said:

according to our local blogger all the talk of albies and bones are lies! they will not be here till september... :witty:

Spent a lot of time around the waters of jamestown and portsmouth  on friday and so no bait of breaking fish anywhere.  I wasnt fishing, just spending family time.

It's true what he said and my documentation too proves it. People don't realize the albie and bonito fishery around our mainland coast is a relatively new sport.

Thirty years ago, there was never the numbers we have around our shores now. Yes! now and than one would be caught close to shore, but most were caught Bluefin tuna fishing offshore.  Most of our shore fishing was blitzing stripers and bluefish. Those were the days the migration actually happened. Pods and pods of fish would continually move thru south county. Someone  catches one fish and the people frenzy goes off rushing things. I'll wait till the beginning of September. Too much dead water targeting them now. Yes! you can get lucky like winning the lottery, but it's just not worth targeting them now.   

They are definitely not here in abundance but there are some around. I already caught a nice bone last week... which is really very early from my experience... just not tons of them yet. 

Got two (pic of first one below depicts the similar smallish size of each of them)...looks like they were gorging on a variety of bait (see second pic)...also snagged tiny peanuts on dozens of casts

edit***oops, pics are opposite of what I describe above

bonitobait.jpg

bonito2017.jpg

Edited by albacized

Was out by the wall yesterday from day break until 11:00. Like everyone else is saying rain bait everywhere. No Albies or Bones anywhere. Went as far west as the breachway.

Just a safety note for those going out on the East Wall - one of the pics above shows sandals being worn.

It is entirely possible to walk the rocks with sneakers and sandals.

But if you have to land a fish, the rocks are very slippery. 

Taking a header on the rocks while holding a rod with a fish on is no joke.

Assume you might actually catch a fish, and wear the appropriate footwear to land it and release/keep it without slipping and falling.

For me, that is wearing Korkers.