Dirty Walter

Albie and Bonito timing

Rate this topic

84 posts in this topic

Two years ago I think I may have hooked into my first bone.  The albies were coming in 1 at a time one evening and we were catching each one with epoxy jigs until 1 last one came in before dark and wouldn't touch what anyone was throwing until I threw out a kastmaster with a bucktail hook on the back and crushed it as I skipped it across the surface.  The fish took 6 looong runs and would not come in until my leader snapped even with my 8' tiger ugly stik and 30# braid and 15# leader.  Never saw it but was feeding just like the albies but had substanially larger shoulders?!

22 minutes ago, greenhornet73 said:

Two years ago I think I may have hooked into my first bone.  The albies were coming in 1 at a time one evening and we were catching each one with epoxy jigs until 1 last one came in before dark and wouldn't touch what anyone was throwing until I threw out a kastmaster with a bucktail hook on the back and crushed it as I skipped it across the surface.  The fish took 6 looong runs and would not come in until my leader snapped even with my 8' tiger ugly stik and 30# braid and 15# leader.  Never saw it but was feeding just like the albies but had substanially larger shoulders?!

Most likely not a bone...although they're often described as feeding in a similar manner and looking similar in appearance, when you see them actually running together, bones will look like a substantially smaller fish (almost like watching spanish mackerel) in comparison to albies...and fight-wise, bones will take off fast like an albie, but it won't have the 'staying' power...mostly they won't run as far, although I've had several bigger ones  that will give you a true 'albie-like' run for your money

The average size of bones ive caught is def smaller than albies   

The abundance of bonito from shore seems to vary a lot more than albies year to yr. They never seem to be a sure thing

Best yr in a while was two yrs ago but a long drought bef that

-bd

10 minutes ago, bdowning said:

The average size of bones ive caught is def smaller than albies   

The abundance of bonito from shore seems to vary a lot more than albies year to yr. They never seem to be a sure thing

Best yr in a while was two yrs ago but a long drought bef that

-bd

Yup...there was a small uptick 3 years ago where I caught my first bone in years. Then the next year (2 years ago) was off the charts and I had my PB in terms of numbers (and for the most part, they weren't picky)...i think it was also the first time I caught bones from more than one location in the same season (NE RI and SoCo)...last year it sagged down a bit to where I only experience a short window of opportunity and lost my only hookup right on the rocks 

30 minutes ago, Dirty Walter said:

Reports of false albacore inshore. Heading down with the hobie to check it out this afternoon.

I hit a spot in NE RI this am and it was dead....there had been some limited activity in this area over the course of the past week (bonito, not albies)...keep in mind, the wind was pretty brutal by kayak standards (not sure if it's forecast to lay down later)...It pushed some weed in, but wasn't too thick or heavy (yet)

PS - there are reports that some frigates are around...be careful the reports are not confusing albies and frigates (some folks think they're catching small albies when they catch frigates)

We have been fishing Newport hard this week for schoolies. The rain bait is staggering at times when you do run into them. 

We have had four other boat canvas the area from Castle Hill all the way to West Island, Little Compton. So far no sign of bonito for any of us.  

The rain bait is either micro sea herring or peanut bunker. I don't believe it's bay anchovies since all of the dense schools don't have that purple hue color and there are no laughing gulls around. Newport water temps measure 71 degrees on a sunny day. I'll continue to fish for stripers. Much to early to get caught up looking for bones, unless you're fishing south of Block Island. Newport is one of the few places holding bait right now. All along the south shore around Point Jude seems to be lacking forage.

Edited by Capt.Castafly

Reports were pretty right on. Not a lot of action but this is in the middle of the afternoon. So yeah, there are officially early funny fish within casting distance. Pretty sweet! Tight lines guys.  

(SoCo)

IMG_2540.JPG