Albie and Bonito timing

Rate this topic

Good time to start talking/ reporting about these guys. I've always been under the impression that the green bonito typically start showing up right around mid august (give or take a week), followed by the albies which often set up shop around 2nd week of September... 

Would love to hear your experience/ predictions on when they will show up this year and how things will unfold given the conditions and typical patterns of these fish. 

Albies are a blast but I would kill to run into some green bonito this year. I've been missing them for the past few years now. 

Just got a brand new hobie outback, all rigged up and ready to get on these little rocket fish from the point Jude "area".

Heard a report that green bonito have been caught offshore by yellowtail fisherman so it really could be any time now that they come in to range. 

Good luck too all and tight lines!!! 

My general rule of thumb for bonito is to listen for the first offshore reports (especially from the 'hooter' and other similar offshore rips), then add two weeks (at least for consistent action - you'll get a one off report here or there before the two weeks are up)...and you'll probably hear of these offshore reports any day now...as far as albies, wait another two weeks past the first arrival of inshore bonito (very end of Aug and into beginning of Sept)...at that time, you'll have about a week and a half of true opportunities to nail both before it becomes almost entirely an albie show

Edited by albacized

Albacized is spot on. The first shore catchable bonito show up roughly between mid August and end Aug. And albies right after that. I've found Labor Day is a fairly reliable time to expect both species, with a nod more to bonito (but that's usually the peak for them). Some years are better than others for bonito from shore. But albie numbers have been fairly consistent for a bunch of years now.

-bd

Pfantum Pfishah

May sound a little like a swamp yankee uncleism but when the monarch butterflies start to increase in numbers and the trees up in Burrillville/Woonsocket/Cumberland start to get rusty, it'll be very soon, if not happening. 

Also a good bet that somewhere in RI the bass bite at night will have an uptick too. 

"fall" starts earlier than you think 

And these cool low humidity mornings and bright days that we've been having lately have got me jonesing for the little bastards already. 

Edited by bRichards

there is a **** ton of sand eels i would concentrate on that profile . i laugh at the boats that run run run and they surface were they were the first time . With in 15 minutes .

Top Drawer Sport fishing " We Put Everything Into It "

1 hour ago, Dirty Walter said:

I might scout Jude on the yak this weeken whether permitting. Will report back if I end up going...

I can tell you that during the past 3 years or so, I've been at least witnessing some bonito activity before the middle of the month...I'd get skunk on those first trips, but the seeing the evidence would get me geared to head back and it would be game on during the next week or so...last year was a tick down from the year before (which was my best bonito season ever - up to then, I pretty much rely on albies for my 'tiny tuna' fix and could count all the bonito I've ever caught in my life with the fingers of both of my hands and toes of one of my feet...and I doubled that in one season)...last year fell back to being an 'all albie' season for me, with one shore line 'quick release' fish accounting for my entire bonito action