Beef baby backs?

Rate this topic

Just did some  this morning for lunch. I buy them when on sale or a managers special.  Salt, pepper, Garlic Powder.  Indirect heat 275* about 3 hrs  . Wrapped with foil after 2  1/2 hrs to prevent drying out. Turned grill off and lest rest about an hour while  picking 1 every  now and then., Wanted to do in the smoker but to much to get done today.

• 2 weeks later...

What you want to find is beef plate ribs. They are the ones that look like dinosaur bones. Your butcher may have to order them for you. Those packer ribs are useless, all the good meat has been removed. Basically uncut short ribs

Plate ribs are short ribs.  They come from the short plate.   These usually have 3 bones when see them in the counter and are big ribs.  There are also short ribs sometimes called chuck ribs.   These come from between the chuck and flank.   These usually have 4 bones and have less meat than the plate.  I have bought these by mistake thinking I was getting plate ribs.  Short ribs have the meat on top of the bones, plate might have 2 inches of meat.   What Bob cooked are off the loin rib roast and seem to have some of the rib roast left on them.   The beef back ribs I have tried were trimmed tight leaving only the sliver of meat between the bones.  I have no idea what packer ribs are. 

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

What I meant by packer is what he bought, the ones that have been trimmed with just a sliver of meat still attached and in the meat case wrapped like the pork ribs

This is what you want

attachment.php?attachmentid=3797530&stc=1&d=1501383247

Edited by Leeway

1 hour ago, Leeway said:

What I meant by packer is what he bought, the ones that have been trimmed with just a sliver of meat still attached and in the meat case wrapped like the pork ribs

Thank you

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black