bob_G

Beef baby backs?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Anyone else try these? I've experiments with them a couple times. Somewhat fatty, and flavorsome. They don't seem to require all the attention pork ribs do.

25 minutes ago, bob_G said:

Anyone else try these? I've experiments with them a couple times. Somewhat fatty, and flavorsome. They don't seem to require all the attention pork ribs do.

I don't do them justice! Way too fatty! Spare ribs are a lot of work but when you finish it's great food

I will try them again when I see some decent ribs.  What I've tried before I believe were trimmed off a rib roast and they left so little meat it wasn't worth the effort.

I think you guys are thinking of spare ribs? Those are very fatty. These are prepared and packaged to look exactly like pork babybacks, only they're beef. 

I'd need to see a picture to have a reasonable opinion. Like Jim said, the ones I have seen have so little flesh it would hardly be worth the effort other than for stock.

But I know that the left over bones from rib roast with some meat still on are and reheated gently are nearly better than the roast itself. (Okay, not better, but............)

So I could see if you had good starting product and done right on a smoker they could be very good.

I think I know exactly what Bob is getting and I have only seen them in pictures.   Cut off the loin end of a rib roast   What we see sometimes do make good stock  

I have done a rack of 4 full short ribs and those were great. Also pretty fatty.   For the effort a big chuck roast is also good 

I guess you smoke them Bob?  I can probably get them cut where we shop.  How long how hot?  

I might try them hot, or reverse grilled   Like Steve said, like the bones off a roast with a crust but rare middle. 

I use a Traeger smoker with ribs and they have a 3,2,1 recipe that is easy to follow.   Even though you may not be using one of their smokers you can still apply their basic recipe on those ribs.   I'm pretty sure a quick search on a homemade smoker will be suffice in your goal of awesomeness.   

I have never seen those...  Where are you buying?  Have you smoked them?

I have had smoked beef ribs but they were a lot bigger than those.

22 hours ago, PaddyCrabby said:

I have never seen those...  Where are you buying?  Have you smoked them?

I have had smoked beef ribs but they were a lot bigger than those.

They began showing up a couple years ago.  I buy mine at Market Basket and Fairway Beef in Worcester.  I've smoked them like I do pork babybacks. Very fatty but also very good.  I do a lot of pork babybacks but I think these have potential and was wondering if anyone else has tried them so I can refine my technique.

I just drove by Fairway beef the other day.  Is it worth stopping in there?  All my years living in West Boylston I never knew about that place.  We always went to Tatnuck Meat Market if we were looking for something in particular.

1 hour ago, stryperStalker said:

I just drove by Fairway beef the other day.  Is it worth stopping in there?  All my years living in West Boylston I never knew about that place.  We always went to Tatnuck Meat Market if we were looking for something in particular.

They've been there over 70 years. Used to walk there with my grandmother when I was a kid.  I still go there often, and I live on the Cape. Bought a beautiful beef brisket there the other day, $2.99/lb.