dleopoldi914

Allergic reaction to bluefish?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Bagged some nice blues and fileted them and put in the freezer. I took out two weeks later from the freezer and put in the fridge and cooked within a day.

I notice after every time i eat bluefish recently my finger gets swollen to double its size.

I looked online and found out certain dark fish can contain a chemical that converts to histamine . Anyone have experience with this?

I haven't had personal experience with it, but I've heard of such reactions.  It can be particularly bad with tuna, although it happens with bluefish, too.

Bleed your fish immediately, and the likelihood of a histamine reaction is substantially reduced; much of the compound that causes the reaction is found in the blood.

People can develop allergies later in life; my wife has developed them to pollen, which never troubled her until she was in her fifties.

Keep a bucket of seawater in the boat. Cut the throat latch as soon as they're in the boat, let the fish bleed in the bucket for a minute, then transfer to ice in the cooler. The rule of thumb is a minimum of one pound of ice per pound of fish.  Remove the dark meat when filleting; liver, dark lateral-line meat, and fatty belly flesh are where fish concentrate toxins (though I eat fatty tuna belly. "toro," with gusto in the sushi restaurant.) 

Don't let the cat or dog eat the dark lateral line meat. They like it, but it's very rich in carbohydrates and they easily get sick from it.

Lesson learned here. Going to use a stringer and bleed immediately for now on. Does a stringer have same impact as ice? Only reason I ask is I surf fish slot and can't take a cooler to slot of places I walk to.

Fish spoil VERY quickly especially in the summer. Once dead, fish toxicity rises rapidly. Taking too long to fillet/handle them back home could cause them to sour also. Not saying your guilty of anything. Just putting this out there for the less experienced.

Maybe an antihistamine could help you when this happens? Just a thought... 

I've experienced this one time. Myself and two friends ordered Grilled Swordfish Sandwiches out of an east end Deli one year. All broke out in sores and such in the mouth area. Had this all happen after a night of partying, even the alcohol didn't kill it.

Then again, the alcohol probably had something to do with the ridiculously poor choice of ordering Swordfish Sandwiches out of deli. 

Happened to me this past spring - had fresh Bluefish for lunch at a Morehead City NC restaurant.  Two hours later I'm surf fishing at Atlantic Beach, my face gets itchy, then breaks out in hives, stays that way the balance of the afternoon, hives go away during the night but my face stayed splotched for the next couple of days.  OH