Birdsnester

First time Shark fishing from shore

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

For most peeps on this site I'm sure this is no biggie but I never shark fished before so this was fun.  They aren't Mako's but they were fun to catch.  So I thought I'd share some pics.  These pics were several fish that we caught on Saturday.  All released unharmed.  

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

Edited by chumfish
Removed Pic

why releasing those ?!

kill them, and take the fins if there is a way to sell those

if not, kill them anyway, there will be more fish around as a consequence

and sharks are never gonna be endangered

3 minutes ago, glos said:

why releasing those ?!

This is quite a post.  Every time I read a post of yours it's like a mini education of all things pertaining to the seas.

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 minutes ago, glos said:

why releasing those ?!

WOW!!  

It is illegal to harvest these fish here. No need for shark fin anything, anywhere.

Edited by pd07

49 minutes ago, glos said:

why releasing those ?!

OH, Resident Serbian ambassador, teach us how Baltic Culture encourages stewardship of the Seas.

7 minutes ago, 55555s said:

OH, Resident Serbian ambassador, teach us how Baltic Culture encourages stewardship of the Seas.

Great. And by the way nice fish and great to see releases.

1 hour ago, glos said:

why releasing those ?!

I really hope you are trolling. If you're not, I've read some incredibly stupid posts on this site in my 8 years here, but this ranks near the top. 

Sharks are extremely important parts of their eco system. If you kill off the the top predator in a food chain off completely then you'll really see what less fish looks like. 

1 hour ago, FinS 32 said:

I really hope you are trolling. If you're not, I've read some incredibly stupid posts on this site in my 8 years here, but this ranks near the top. 

Sharks are extremely important parts of their eco system. If you kill off the the top predator in a food chain off completely then you'll really see what less fish looks like. 

no sir, something else will step up, like humbolt squids did after mexicans killed of sharks

and now they have megatons of tasty squids AND fish to catch

and I did claim that no amount of effort to eradicate sharks can dent their global numbers

local yes but globally it is rediculus

2 hours ago, FinS 32 said:

He, like everyone else, is welcome to their opinion...even if nobody else agrees with them :) Also, I believe he enjoys saying things he knows people will object to...not 100% certain...and I'm going to continue to keep my eye on him cause trolls will be removed :)

TimS

Nice catch! C&R is the way to go if your not legally able to take them as a food source.

Many large shark and marine mammal populations are on the rise as a result of protection, I often wonder if fisherman interaction Is on the rise in other areas. 

Here in HI the tiger populations are growing, and I would guess they are more frequently visiting the shallows to eat their preferred food, the protected sea turtles.

I would never enter the surf here to fish at night these days.

From the shore here I have hooked almost all of the local shark species to include mature Tigers and Galapagose. 

In HI only unprovoked attacks get reported. Baiting for, or injuring,  a shark prey item (most anything) is considered provoking if you end up being attacked. It's amazing the way tourism can affect the reporting of attacks. 

2 hours ago, glos said:

no sir, something else will step up, like humbolt squids did after mexicans killed of sharks

and now they have megatons of tasty squids AND fish to catch

and I did claim that no amount of effort to eradicate sharks can dent their global numbers

local yes but globally it is rediculus

So you contradict yourself......If you dent the local numbers...doesn't that effect global numbers?  Or are you still on a planet that doesn't have physics like in some of your other posts.

First off please keep the those pics that are to revealing of to your spot off this site.. pretty please..

second, the last few weeks I've seen some of the most careless fish handling I've ever seen in 25yrs of fishing.. these things will gladly bite the hell out of you.. so bear hugging a 50+ lbs sharks to carry to water is not really ideal.. also the gear most these guys are fishing are way to light and turning into 30-60min battles on fish that should be landed in less then 10.. sharks build lactic acid and too much can be fatal.. even if they swim off, every min you fight them is more of a chance of dead shark.. it is very irresponsible.... 

third... once landed please just take your pic quickly and unhook  and slide back in water ASAP... there is no need for you and everyone of your eleventeen buddy's taking hero shots for 10 min then realize you need to run down the beach a quarter mile to get your pliers and unhook... 

i love catching these warriors.. they are great fighters and a ton of fun... please just use your heads out there and be kind to these beautiful critters...