Mntlmaxx

Who else is a spoonman?

22 posts in this topic

Ok, I have been gifted a handfull of johnson 1/8oz spoons in various colors. I'll be honest, I have never used a spoon before so I don't know techniques for temp., species, or time of year. I got a recommendation to try a silver one for skipjack (catfish bait) but would the hook on the 1/8 oz be too large? (I want this to be an open topic and maybe lead to a start of newbie threads to explain certain bait/lure presentations.) I did find some info but for that specific question I can't find answer. Thank you all and good luck fishing.

Roland Martin used spoons to deadly effect on Okeechobee in heavy cover back before the turn of the century.  Usually rigged w a 3-4" grub as a trailer.  I think most have gone to rubber frogs that fish that type of cover nowadays.

I use them for trout when the water gets colder. I use 1/4 oz and 1/3 oz, but I basically just cast them as far as i can and use a steady retrieve. You can throw in an occasional rod twitch, but depending on the action of the spoon you may not need to

I still carry a few Johnson silver minnow spoons . I don't really throw them as much as I used to however. Probably due to not having any more decent pork frogs to add to them.

Spoons are very versital in freshwater.  I got a box full of little cleos, kastmasters, phoebes, acme, daredevil, super-dupers, etc... they can be cast-n-retrieved, trolled, or fished vertical from a boat.

Weedless-Spoons.gif

These are spoons pictured in an In-fisherman publication.  A spoon is a thin piece of metal hammered flat and then bent to shape.  Some of the baits pat the nat mentions are not spoons, but blade baits.  

for me spoons have been very successful for two fish species :

Pickrel where as the Red Devil is the choice , burned thru the water column 

Red Fish , Johnson's gold spoon & Capt Mikes Aqua dream which imitates a crab , mostly sight fishing the dropping tide ( PB 31" Crystal River Fla ) 

Good size for the majority of trout in the northeast.

Speed is very important with spoons. The first thing I do with a new spoon is observe what speed the spoon wobbles at. Too fast and the lure will spin, too slow and it will have no action. Once you find that sweet spot, you can vary the retrieve 

A couple of years ago I purchased a lot of a hundred assorted spoons in brass and stainless steel in assorted sizes and weight... They have been catching fish from Trout to Sturgeon... Speed of the retrieve is very important, but most of my success is while the spoon was fluttering to the bottom.... 

its one thing to drop spoon in deep water loaded with fish

and whole another to try to lead it in scarcely populated with fish, water that has average dept of 1.5 meters..

A-lot of helpfull and detailed info here. I'm more tempted now to pick up a few more. In my mind I always deemed them to be trout or pike lures. I got to try the 1/8 oz silver minnow and caught one decent size shad and a small gar but nothing else. I'm thinking it still may be too big for most shad so going to find something about half the size and try that. I was also told black spoons work better at night but I can't find any locally. Anyone know if that is true?

11 hours ago, Mntlmaxx said:

A-lot of helpfull and detailed info here. I'm more tempted now to pick up a few more. In my mind I always deemed them to be trout or pike lures. I got to try the 1/8 oz silver minnow and caught one decent size shad and a small gar but nothing else. I'm thinking it still may be too big for most shad so going to find something about half the size and try that. I was also told black spoons work better at night but I can't find any locally. Anyone know if that is true?

...just ruff up one side w/ sand paper spray it black