JohnP

How do you store and share photos?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I've been using my Nikon D 7200 and transfer most of my photos to an iPad Pro with iPhoto,

the photos always look great on my iPad but every now and then I'll send someone a photo and they will say it looks grainy.  I'll say 'really looks sharp and detailed on my side.

lately I've been looking into it and it's become a big puzzle.

ive noticed that when I email some picture my mail sometimes let's me select the photo file size, but in other cases it does not allow me that option. It's almost as if the photo was compressed or iPhoto . Mail makes a decision to compress the file or use whatever it decides in terms of file size.

for example, in the first image below mail allows me to select a file size.

but in the second case it does not.

wondering if I need something better than iPhoto to store my photos, even though they look great on my side?

IMG_5439.PNG

IMG_5440.PNG

I think it has something to do with what they are viewing the image on, if their screen can't view the native resolution of the image I think it will make it look grainy. I'm not sure but I have had this problem before.

You can try to upload your photos to a free dropbox or something and then share the folder with them, but you will be limited on size if you don't pay.

John your first image is showing a file size of 612kb which is a small file size so depending on the ISO, how much it's cropped and how well it is post processed small files can look grainy.

iPhoto has export preferences where you can even send as original jpg size so check the preferences. Also your mail has export preferences as well that can be set.

as stated by the previous poster sharing a image to someone else's PC is rarely ever a accurate reproduction of what you may of worked with and see on your unit. Color balance, the color format, the browser used to send and receive, file size, etc all have effects on the shared images seen.

i use Aperure as my primary post processing and filing software. My RAW, are stored on external drives both as iPhoto use and another set of just pure files in case aperture  will no longer be able to be accessed on another OS upgrade. It has been years since mac has supported this software and went to IPhotos instead. I have nearly every post processing software made but hang with aperture.

Anyway check your preferences and make sure you are sharing your images in the file size you want. Check the browser those complaining are using and the import file size limits their emails are set to... the problem could be on either end whether from you or on their end

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just realized I don't have iPhoto on my iPad Pro. It's just called photo.

and photos are loaded to cloud too.

There is no option to adjust (or keep) image size. Not that I can find anyway. I'm wondering if this is part of my problem. 

Edited by JohnP

iPad and iPhone run basically the same ... here is a quote on your problem from Apple support files that might help

Note in the paragraph on saving space on your phone, it shows that you can set it to save it as the original, the issue however is, others you share it with will also have to have it set like that, otherwise when they see it on their phone it will make it "optimized" (i.e. 2048 on the long end)... hope that helps... 

i dont use a ipad so specifics there I don't have but I run only mac gear with iPhone, laptop, and desktop ....  try the above because what I saw many have the same issue as yours from a quick search. None of my stuff is in the cloud as I shut those functions down in both mail and photos so I can't use personal experiences in that mode.

9 hours ago, Pootitoot said:

I think it has something to do with what they are viewing the image on, if their screen can't view the native resolution of the image I think it will make it look grainy. I'm not sure but I have had this problem before.

You can try to upload your photos to a free dropbox or something and then share the folder with them, but you will be limited on size if you don't pay.

No doubt this is a factor.  I have dual monitors in my office and the same picture will look completely different on one monitor vs the other.  One monitor blows the other away.

Thanks. I read lots about how to compress files but little about how to retain the original size.   The  way icloud works is that you save a compressed low res version, but then you can download the 'original version.  But there is no feature on the iPad to look at the specs of the photo like what I can do with the camera itself.  There is no place to see the photo size,  What is most odd is that in one case I send a photo and it will at least allow me to alter the file size. And then a picture taken 2 seconds later the option Box does not come up. That's odd.

Was hoping maybe I could buy an app like Adobe for iPad which might offer more robust features. I do think photo for iPad (even though I've got the most oowerful iPad they make) is a watered down version of iPhoto somehow.

maybe I'll lug around the mac book

1 hour ago, mako capt said:

No doubt this is a factor.  I have dual monitors in my office and the same picture will look completely different on one monitor vs the other.  One monitor blows the other away.

...and the images that I post here generally don't look as good as before they were posted.  That's my excuse, anyway  :wee::wee:

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've had people send me back the photo I sent to them and it looks grainy and nothing like what I sent to them.  One more puzzle or 'hidden feature' of Apple software

the photos get transferred from my camera to my iPad via an app known as the Nikon Wireless Mobile Utility. (WMU)

im wondering if this is the place where compression is happening

IMG_5442.PNG

IMG_5443.PNG

Edited by JohnP

8 minutes ago, Jim DE said:

It definitely would be one source of  ompression both in the in camera jpg engine and the wifi software transfer compression

Yes, I'm wondering if I can find a way to connect my camera directly to my iPad.

im guessing, based on OP, is that nobody stores photo files on an iPad and uses iOS photo.

otherwise I'll try MacBook 

John the guys I know in the business use their iPads as tethered devices for on location use with DXO Pro software or as a screening device for presentations to customers. 

For storage and post processing Photo just is not powerful enough on its own but can be near as effective as Aperture was is plugins like Affinity are used with it. The vast majority are using Lightroom from Adobe and not MAC   Proprietary softwares like Photo. I have a issue with Adobe softwares so even though I have them I refuse to use them. But that is me and my issues with them and says nothing about how good their software's are... they are very good and CS is still the most powerful photo software available. 

Thanks. From reading up on it (too bad the official documentation wasn't clear) the mobile wifi Utility offered by Nikon does have a reputation for compressing file size. Very sad that this is not fully advertised.

what does CS stand for?