Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HugeDinghy

Sugar steak

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Anyone watch ATC last night? They made sugar steak. Was just sugar and salt. 

Ive always used brown sugar in my rubs for smoking or doing beef roasts indirect on charcoal,  but never on regular grilled steaks. 

Anyone do it, can't imagine it isn't good, just wondering if it's better than just simple More traditional stuff. 

Ehhhhh..........I can understand the principal and likely gets a better maillard reaction, but I am not big on sugar anything and not sure it is worth the trade off.

Posted (edited) · Report post

They specifically said that it doesn't come out sweet at all. :shrug:

a lot lot of times I think you ( generic you)  haven't heard of things for a reason. Lol. 

Edited by HugeDinghy

While I wouldn't like sweet, that was not my thumbs down on the sugar. Not a fan of sugar in general, and why add it to food if you can get the same result using another method? Sure, sometimes there is no substitute for sugar, but I don't think this is one of them.

7 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

Anyone watch ATC last night? They made sugar steak. Was just sugar and salt. 

Ive always used brown sugar in my rubs for smoking or doing beef roasts indirect on charcoal,  but never on regular grilled steaks. 

Anyone do it, can't imagine it isn't good, just wondering if it's better than just simple More traditional stuff. 

+1 to the opinion

Did the guy in the bowtie dip it in ranch? Lol

Idk...cant be much different than Chinese restaurant beef.  Which tends to have a bit of sugar.  It may be worth it just to get a better char.

I avoid sugar in my rubs and stick with spices and herbs.

I've used a little sugar in the past on a rub for a steak and it OK.  I like to cook steaks hot and fast and sugar burns, but the same is true in low and slow.  

No sugar for me.

I didn't see the show so I ggld sugar steak.  There are some places where they use a ton of sugar on huge thick pieces of round, turned and basted with more sugar   Sounded disgusting 

no problem with a little to brown and help a crust but never felt the need on steaks   May have to try it now and wouldn't be surprised if there's some in Montreal seasoning or similar