ljschroe

Surf Tackle Bag Advice

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am just about done with my $40 Dolphin Surf Tackle Bag...the 10 tube one.  It was a great deal and served my needs almost perfectly.  However, after a year and a half of hard use, the lining is breaking up, the belt straps are unstitching, and one shoulder strap loop has come completely unstitched and I had to apply a battlefield fix to it (that is actually holding up pretty well.

I am not one who can go out with 6 plugs and feel prepared (as you can see from the pic).  The photo shows not what I carry, but how I prepare to fish one particular spot I fish.  The mix changes for my other spots and I keep two crates of lures in my trunk so I am prepared with the lures I need if I switch spots.

One last thing; I have found that strapping the bag to my belt GREATLY alleviates the neck pressure from the shoulder strap.  I cannot have a bag without that feature.

My question: I need a bag (hopefully less than $150) that has 1) either belt straps or loops, 2) 12 tubes or more, preferably square (10 minimum, but big), 3) bucktail holders, 4) pockets for leaders, etc. 5) be under $150.

The things that look like bucktail holders on the front of this bag can't hold bucktails.  The bucktail hooks face the flap and the flap grabs on them and tosses them into the water when you open it.

I am possibly seeking the unattainable, but if you know of anything, please advise!  Feel free to post descriptions of likes/dislikes/pics!

-Lennon

p.s.- the "Supreme Surf Bag is close (and a close relative to what I have) but I am looking to go bigger.

p.p.s.- The Large Shimano Lure Case doesn't seem large.  Does the Aquaskinz have belt loops?  Do the Okuma Nomad Technical Tackle Bags have it all?  The big boy brands are out of my budget at $200+++.

20170729_130447b.jpg

20170729_130753b.jpg

How long do you plan on fishing hard?

You can buy one good one big $

or multiple self designed cheapos 

in my years always cheap with a incredible variety of bags not made for surf fishing

up to you 

enjoy

1 hour ago, Skitter said:

How long do you plan on fishing hard?

You can buy one good one big $

or multiple self designed cheapos 

in my years always cheap with a incredible variety of bags not made for surf fishing

up to you 

enjoy

I have 10 more years of fishing hard in me.  I'll fish through November or until my hands can't take it anymore.  That "The surfcaster" bag is interesting.  The Aquaskinz Large has no belt loops. :(

I found a happy medium and split it up. And can still carry at least that much if needed. Shimano blue wave 8 tube, metals and bucktails have a seperate compartment. And a TA assault pouch, goes on belt. Its small but holds a good amount. I put my soft plastics in that.

Just my 2 cents,

Tight lines.....

I adhere to the cheap-bag philosophy.  Like the OP I swap plugs back and forth continuously from tackle in the back of an SUV. I couldn't tell you what brands I'm using.

Rant about bags and pliers coming in a separate thread. 

Cabela's sells a relatively inexpensive bag for about $45 and it has served me well for 15 years.  I don't use the shoulder strap, prefer a belt and keep it on my hip.  It has 9 tubes.  The only downside is the velcro fastener on the "lid" is kind of flimsy.  If you were fishing in heavy surf you might have a few lures floating out on their own.

10 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I adhere to the cheap-bag philosophy.  Like the OP I swap plugs back and forth continuously from tackle in the back of an SUV. I couldn't tell you what brands I'm using.

Rant about bags and pliers coming in a separate thread. 

This.

51G0Gvr6v2L._SY355_.jpg

WD-40 on the zippers and they dont rust for a while.  Inner plastic liner can be removed and washed.    DIY tubes inside.  Available in colors.  3 sizes, though the largest is too large.   $8.00 on sale, and will last 2 lazy seasons, or a few months if you fish a lot and are serious. 

Then again, I see far better uses for $200 than pliers as well.  it's all relative to what one's disposable income is, I suppose. 

I tend to be frugal in many things though.  I've been called cheap a time or two.  

Edited by 55555s

Looking at the OP's surf bag, Made me think of how moving all the rubber, bucktails and tins to a small belt pouch will off load a considerable amount of weight. Unless your neck is built like that of a silverback gorilla, this is almost essential if you like to pack a lot of lures. Even if you prefer the bag on your waist, a heavy bag hanging on one side will eventually take it's toll. Better to offset some weight to the other side of your body. In the end less weight in a mid range bag will make it last longer IMO.

A word on bag size.

How many tubes a bag has within reason is sort of pointless to me. The layout and tube size is more important. Round tubes always held more for me. A large 4 tube aqua skins bag can easily hold 20- 24 plugs for me. $5.00 worth of golf club tubes can make having 5-6 plugs to a tube tangle free. Just something to consider.

Recommendation:

I got burned with the AS lower end bag years ago. Bad stitching. Great layout and overall a nice bag. If the bag held up better I would have been very happy with it. Personally, I think the large AS "elite series" is a lot of bag for the $ and if I was inclined to need a big bag today I would look here.  At $279 retail it's well over the OP's budget. I understand that but I would try to hang on to that $150 you have and  save for a big AS elite bag. It sucks to spend more than you want to. I get it. I fish cheaper rods and reels myself. Bags are a different animal. It's very hard to get mileage out of a reasonably priced bag these days. The AS Elite should hold up very well if you choose to go that route. Runners up to this bag would be the same AS bag in the original design, the large Canyon bag and the Surfcaster Ultimate bag. All these bags are in the $150 range. I still honestly believe that the extra $130 for the elite would be money well spent.

If you aren't set on square tubes and can actually find one in stock somewhere take a look at the MAK Angler 4 tube.  I had a 3 tube for a while and it was a nice bag for the money and took a beating.  Should be right around $150 new.  I know finding it in stock might be a different story.

Depending on where you are I may know of a shop that has on in NJ.  Or at least i thought I remember seeing one last time I was there.