glennsav

Retie Knots vs Check and Tighen Knots

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I've experienced loss tackle when knots slipped so I now check and tighten knots about every hour when casting plugs and metal.

This weekend fished for about 1 hour checked and tighted, another hour same, the second cast after the second hour check and tightening,  the knot slipped and I lost a bucktail.

So maybe after about an hour a cut and retie is best??? Appreciate comments how often to cut and retie???? Its inconvientent depending on the location your fishing like on or in rocks and depending on what and how often your catching fish.

Edited by glennsav

I have had knots last all season and never loosen. I suggest you go on utube and check out how to properly tie some knots. For tying braid, polamor knot. For mono and fluoro, clinch and improved clinch. Remember to always wet line when making knots.

Pre-tie a few leaders at home. 

Tight Lines...

I check periodically when I am fishing; especially if I have caught fish. At this point I have total confidence in the knots I tie.  Only time I would change is if I can visually see that the knot looks like it it compromised.  For main line ( braid ) to my swivels I have only ever used a Uni knot.  For my mono leaders I have been using a tie fast tool.  Tie a bunch up before and during the season and bring those with me and will only have to tie the braid to swivel if I have to change. 

I'll check them from time to time, but I find that my leader needs to be replaced due to nicks and abrasion about 10:1 vs knot that needs a retie.  (fishing the ditch.  YMMV.)

FWIW I've yet to have a properly-tied improved clinch knot fail.  (Yes,I might tie and retie it a few times before I'm satisfied that I have the "right" tie.)

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks and knot tying is an art or maybe a science.

Mine seem fine until about hour three. Wetting the line prior to tying is something I dont do so I'll begin doing that.

I have to start sitting at home and practice tying. When I'm getting things ready at home just before going fishing, at the beach, or in the parking lot I'm always in a hurry! So a bit of pre-planning is probably in order.

Just like I beat the " operator error wind knots" based on suggestions here this will be perfect too at some point!

As I said before the strange part the knots are fine until about three hours and thats catchin fish, plugging, and throwing metals for all that time!

Edited by glennsav

What knot are you using?  I don't think I've ever heard of a knot loosening and don't really see how it could happen.  

I constantly check my line for nicks though and change as needed.  I have found that having pre-tied leaders is a huge time saver and much easier to change in the field.  

17 hours ago, TLap21 said:

What knot are you using?  I don't think I've ever heard of a knot loosening and don't really see how it could happen.  

I constantly check my line for nicks though and change as needed.  I have found that having pre-tied leaders is a huge time saver and much easier to change in the field.  

Uni knot but I may be not putting enough loops in the knot.

1 minute ago, glennsav said:

Uni knot but I may be not putting enough loops in the knot.

Also possible that you are not cinching the loops neatly next to one another.  A uni will not slip if tied right, but it is imperative that the loops all be neatly cinched next to one another, and NOT lumped up into a ball.

I use the Uni as well.   3-4 turns and I have never had one come loose.  Only possible way I could see that happening is if you're not cinching them down completely.  You'll know it's seated correctly when the tag end is pointing 90 degrees out from the main line.  

Edited by TLap21

I have a few dozen pre tied leaders with me at all times, keep a few in the Surf bag, in pockets, I have a few around my gear shift. If they start to get beat up looking change 'em out. Practice making them perfect so you never have one fail. I like the improved clinch and the Trombone(someone posted a pic on here a few years back) 

44 minutes ago, TLap21 said:

I use the Uni as well.   3-4 turns and I have never had one come loose.  Only possible way I could see that happening is if you're not cinching them down completely.  You'll know it's seated correctly when the tag end is pointing 90 degrees out from the main line.  

Excellent points and advice in this thread thanks!

When I take my time doing stuff like this it works out perfect when I rush which is often the case when I fish the opposite is true!

Evidenced by home and auto repairs that I've done. When I take my time its good when I don't it looks like a monkey did it!

For me, it kind of depends what I'm fishing for (although I agree - in 'do as I say, not as I do' fashion - with checking often)...when I'm in FL and fishing for snook, I automatically retie after every fish; this being due to their rough mouths roughing up the leader...and when I'm fishing for bonito/false albacore; this simply being due to the fact that these species are my 'bread and butter' of the season and I just want to do everything right

there really know reason to have to re-tie a knot while you're fishing. properly tied, you should be able to fish an entire trip with the same leader and mainline knot (abrasion or fraying issues aside).

you don't mention what knots you're using, that would help. you don't need any special or overly complicated knots. i've been using some version of a clinch for 30+ years without failure. improved clinch for my leaders, the number of turns depends on the lb test of the leader. mainline-swivel, i use a clinch with the tag doubled. moisten all knots, tighten well (pliers more often than not) and re-tie if it doesn't seat properly.

clinch, snell, perfection loop account for over 95% of my knots. then maybe droppers and albrights for most of the remaining. after that, a few of the specialty knots. there's really no need for any others for inshore fishing.