Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JoeGBreezy

Good People

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

You meet some good people when you step into a trout stream regularly. I went to the Carmans River on Long Island the other day. Had never been there before and as mostly a put and take fishery, I know it was a bit late in their season to expect much, but this was an exploratory mission and catching was secondary. Plan was to start at the bottom of the river and walk or leap frog via truck up river to check it all out for 2018 spring fishing. Along comes a very experienced Carman's fisherman ( you know who you are ) at what is called the C Dam who almost immediately volunteers to tour the river with me. Along with some great rod handling and other related tips, I saw the river from the perspective of someone who literally knew where the fish would be at every turn. Granted some locations were obvious but many were local knowledge, without which I would have blundered into and spooked out several lies. We raised a few fish, left wearing the skunk, but had that guy devoted his time to the fish and not helping me there is no doubt in my mind I would have been the only one wearing that skunk, maybe. He is a member of TU Art Flick chapter, so any of you present on this site that share the TU AF affiliation probably know who I am talking about.

Sir, thank you very much for a great morning on the water and more useful info than I could ever gather in a magazine or on that river by myself.

Hey, Joe, I'm from Long Island also. I had a similiar experience on another LI river where I met a guy who knew so much more than I and basically told me how to fish the river and the  fly selection and took me for a quick guided tour. Great guy.  Like you said, cut my learning curve in half.  I know when I'm fishing and I see or another flyguy sees me there is always a friendly interaction either in helping with casting, fly selection, where and when to play a tide etc. I feel I could and always want to  learn something from the next guy and if I meet someone who thinks they want to start learning to fly, I'll try to show them the basics (as I'm still learning also). I'm always appreciative of anyones assistance toward me.  Flyfishing is not easy, and I think people are eager to help out or just share an experience they had on the particular body of water being fished......Good luck out there!

I also have been fortunate enough a few good people along the way when on the water. They are the ones that you don't forget, you may forget their names over a period of time but never their generosity. 

Some people just like to pass on a little of what they know. It is not that hard to reach out and I believe like you learned, you will continue the to do the same when the opportunity presents itself.