iputmyhoursin

Anyone using ODM Jigster for the ditch?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Anyone using the ODM Jigster 4-10oz for the ditch? What are your thoughts and how does it handle anything 5oz +? Just went out yesterday morning, used my legend 1-6oz for a bit (should have brought my stiffer mojo) after 3-4 hours my shoulders and back was killing me. 

i just bought a used jigster 4-10oz, used it a couple outings so not a lot of time on it but this is my experience so far

i usually / often use the older Legend 2-6, mostly for other stuff but sometimes at the canal

though rated fast, ODM is imo more moderate than the St Croix 10'6" 2-6oz mod-fast- loaded up easier and deeper into rod

i would say still not nearly as moderate or parabolic as other rods out there 

throwing heavier Sebiles, fast sink 155 and sinking 182s, etc, ODM launched em great

i havent leaned into 5-6oz jigheads with the SC but Jigster threw em great, and id say less tumbling with heavy swim shads vs SC due to the imo slower action

caught fish up to 34# in decent current and ODM handled em well

have not thrown pencils with the rod so don't know

still love the SC but for jigging the ditch, im very happy with the ODM so far

its purple so make sure you dont mind the color 

Only a couple of outings after I built it up, haven't done any full night shifts and nothing heavier than the 5 oz gag's and large savages but it handled them just fine.  It loads much easier for me and casts further than my Century SS 1328.  My buddy who also uses a 1328 as his main rod test cast it and felt the same way.  Comparatively it feels thinner, lighter, softer, has a slower recovery and is a little less sensitive and crisp but I could still feel bottom, detect a bump and set a hook without a problem.  I would imagine that it casts and work plugs well but honestly I haven't tried.  No fish over 30# but I preferred it's bend and action during a fight.  That being said it's too early for me to say if she's a keeper but I think the softer, slightly less sensitive con is outweighed by the ease in casting and fish fighting pro.

my 2¢ 

My buddy just recently bought one and fished it the other day.  I took a few casts with it on jigs and pencils.  Have to say the thing absolutly launches both of them with ease.  Only jigged a 4oz but with the sensitive tip you could feel bottom real nice.  Looking to buy one now myself after my buddy get his pencils about 15-20 yards further than me every time

i typically dont throw over 4 oz jigs, but im sure it could handle 5 with no problem.  Dont have enough experince to give you a solid answer but i def would't throw any heavier than 6oz with any rod in my opinion.

I've used mine for almost a year and have jigged 6oz buck tails no problem. Caught fish to 30lbs on it and have never felt under gunned. I've used pencils and big plugs as well. Great rod would definitely recommend it. 

I picked up the new legend 10.6' 1-6 beginning of the season. Throwing over 4oz gets overwhelming that said i too agree after a few hours it becomes a struggle .  Was on the fence with the Jigster but could not get past the purple, Heard some good things about the Black Hole 3-10oz let's see how that goes ;)

One alternative to consider: FiberStar Composites (FSC) Marauder MB 1269, rated 5-10oz., Fuji k-frames, 50/50 split, matt black finish, MSRP $405. I've been using it for over a year and I like everything about it so far.

You can save $45 off MSRP, lose the purple, & gain a lifetime warranty (instead of just 1 year), WIN WIN!!!

I own and fish the odm jigster for ccc fishing.  It has been a workhorse and easier than my allstar 1209 after an all night session. Bested fish up to low 30#'s in full current and had Np. I have been very happy and Steve from Odm stands behind his rods 110%!

A rod can throw 1 oz, or a rod can throw 6 oz, but a rod that can throw 1-6 is a proverbial unicorn. 4-10 is a little more realistic, but if it can throw 10 easily, it's going to kinda suck at 4, and vice-versa.

4-6 easily, and able to throw 3 without losing much, is what I'd consider a sweet heavy jigging rod for the Canal, even though I hardly ever threw more than 4 oz. If I needed more, I waited for the off-moon tides. So it sounds like this Jigster is right in the ballpark. :th:

1 hour ago, Ditch Jigger said:

A rod can throw 1 oz, or a rod can throw 6 oz, but a rod that can throw 1-6 is a proverbial unicorn. 4-10 is a little more realistic, but if it can throw 10 easily, it's going to kinda suck at 4, and vice-versa.

4-6 easily, and able to throw 3 without losing much, is what I'd consider a sweet heavy jigging rod for the Canal, even though I hardly ever threw more than 4 oz. If I needed more, I waited for the off-moon tides. So it sounds like this Jigster is right in the ballpark. :th:

The Jigster will do the 3 to 6 range really good

while im liking the ODM very much so far - i agree that the FSC is definitely worth looking at too, for the reasons posted above and great factory fit and finish. my buddys got the Marauder 11' 5-10oz and loves it. 

I just ordered the ODM yesterday, should arrive later this evening. I'll be putting in some serious fishing time this week and will let you guys know. I'm not too worried about the color, ideally I'm more concerned with function then form.