The TideRunner

Weakfish and other seas life

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Tried to spend as much time on the water this week as I could.And it paid off well. Caught a bunch of bigger blue up to 12 pounds throwing SP minnows under bunker schools. and yesterday my son and I caught a bunch of bull porgies up to 16".  Boat rule is none under 12" are allowed to be kept. All nice fat ones. Lots of throwbacks too. Some legal seasbass came over the side, and the biggest surprise was when I reeled in a fish and at first didn't kno what is was. It was a weakfish! Haven't caught one here in CT since the early 80's. My boat was even named after them. We caught and released a good bunch of weaks yesterday afternoon. Many  legal size, many not. Had a lot of fun with them. Felt good to see them making a comeback, and their being on the upswing of the so called cycle.  And I am hoping those little ones grow up to be the 8pounders of the future.

Best part of these outings,,,only 2 robins and 1 dogfish! Long Island Sound has come to life..Finally!  Though She's pretty angry today. No fishing today. Too many potholes out there today. But it looks like from August on it's going to be some pretty good fishing!

I will be excited once August ends and I can go to some of my favorite spots without a beach pass. Was going to hit a popular sandbar you can walk a mile today ......but Gale force winds don't think so.

i was lucky enough to catch 4 weakfish this spring. I targeted them for a month straight. They were 3-4 lbs. Last spring i got bigger ones up to 10lbs.

3 hours ago, Griz1 said:

i was lucky enough to catch 4 weakfish this spring. I targeted them for a month straight. They were 3-4 lbs. Last spring i got bigger ones up to 10lbs.

That's a lot of work, glad your efforts paid off.  I don't remember the last time I caught a weakfish.  I'm guessing it was mid 80's when blue fishing in RI.   I've never targeted them and wouldn't have the patience of Griz1.  Were they ever in big enough numbers that you could catch them somewhat regularly? 

On 7/30/2017 at 9:06 AM, Griz1 said:

". I targeted them for a month straight..."

Would you elaborate, please. Are you throwing specific lures? Which?  Certain tides?  Without naming places - what constitutes "targeted"?

My buddy has hooked up incidentally at times when all the predators seemed to be present - I haven't. but I don't mind short odds if I have a good plan. So, thanks!

I never saw a weakfish before 5 years ago, but caught a few that spring, and each spring, except for this spring, despite trying many times. I watched 20 or so caught by anglers next to me, this spring. On 2 nights, at a popular weakfish spot, there were waves of medium-small blues, and I started having fun catching those, while avoiding the skunk of previous nights. A friend, 20 yards to the right of me, had the wherewithal to tie on a SP minnow, and nailed a picture worthy weakfish. 

I've caught 2 on medium-small wood, but have caught a bunch on small soft plastic, teasers, and small hard minnows (mag darter, sp, etc). When I catch them, it is probably a combination of luck and probability (I sometimes fish 5hrs straight).

Guys I know, and watch, who catch a bunch with skill; they tend to fish small lures very slow. I could be wrong about this being the best technique, but it seemed to work at this semi-shallow, slow current spot.

I started catching weakifish back in the late 70's early 80's when I realized that if I was going to get any fishing in after work it was going to be in the dark. Back then we used Manns Jelly worms on 1/2 or 3/4 oz jigheads.

My PB weak was a huge 12 taken on a long out of production jointed sinking Rapala. Throw it out ...count it down.and slowly retrieve back to the boat. Nowadays I use SP minows which I found out last week are not very durable.

Note to y'all...change out the split rings. Bluefish can bust them off. Haven't caught any on the soft plastics yet, and have even caught some on a bucktail tipped with squid. I would imagine the gulp sandworm wold be deadly on weaks.

Nothing big all just above legal size sent right back after a quick photo.

On 7/31/2017 at 11:04 PM, Paul E said:

Would you elaborate, please. Are you throwing specific lures? Which?  Certain tides?  Without naming places - what constitutes "targeted"?

My buddy has hooked up incidentally at times when all the predators seemed to be present - I haven't. but I don't mind short odds if I have a good plan. So, thanks!

The only lure i throw is the smallest size mag darter or the next size up if it's too windy to cast the small one. Plastics on a light jighead work too but you don't get the casting distance. There's 2 spots i have caught them at/ One is an incoming tide spot and the other is better on the outgoing. 

my biggest fish all came from an area not too far from Fayerweather. The fish I'm catching now are nothing compared to the sizes years ago. But it looks promising for the future.

On 8/12/2017 at 10:26 AM, Griz1 said:

The only lure i throw is the smallest size mag darter or the next size up if it's too windy to cast the small one. Plastics on a light jighead work too but you don't get the casting distance. There's 2 spots i have caught them at/ One is an incoming tide spot and the other is better on the outgoing. 

Depends on how deep one is fishing. I'm in about 35 ft so a 1/2-3/4 oz lead head with gulp or some sort of wormy looking thing gives me plenty of casting distance. I also use SP minnows