Rate this topic

Is it time to ban Commercial Fishing   250 members have voted

  1. 1. Is it time to ban Commercial Fishing?

    • Yes
      160
    • No
      90

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1,178 posts in this topic

Quote

We can say the same things about elections, where people with no clue about the likely impacts of a candidate's policies have a say in the outcome,.

Agreed.  Not to inject politics but we're living that nightmare right now.

 

Quote

Fish farming has its own problems, not the least of which is the removal of forage fish from the ecosystem in order to feed the farmed fish.  There was a recent paper published in the journal Science, in which researchers found a connection between the decreasing size of Atlantic salmon in Finand's River Tano and the harvests of large volumes of capelin, an important forage fish for salmon, in order to supply feed to fish farms.

Agreed again.  The loss of too much forage fish can be seen here on the East Coast.  The over fishing by Omega Protein is unconscionable.  One of the reasons our Striped Bass fishery is in dire straits is because of them.  The full story can be found in the book "The Most Important Fish in the Sea".

No easy answers, but the likely outcome is that farming 1) needs to be done on land to avoid pollution and parasite issues, and 2) the farms are going to have to accept the fact that, like traditional farming, not all species should be propagated; instead, only species that can be easily produced in bulk, and which can be raised on plant-based feed and fish waste products, shoud be produced in order to minimize adverse impacts.

Quote

No easy answers, but the likely outcome is that farming 1) needs to be done on land to avoid pollution and parasite issues, and 2) the farms are going to have to accept the fact that, like traditional farming, not all species should be propagated; instead, only species that can be easily produced in bulk, and which can be raised on plant-based feed and fish waste products, shoud be produced in order to minimize adverse impacts.

Fish farming can and does have a lot of problems but in most cases they can be solved.  Another book "Four Fish: The Future of the Last Wild Food". gets into a lot of that.  Some things being done now are amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Let’s look at other industry types…..

 

Oil industry. You basically buy or rent (lease) the area you extract oil from.

Metals industry……same deal.

Farming…….same deal.

 

You would not be allowed to go out into publicly owned land and set up a farm or start drilling for oil…..

 

Commercial fishing? No…They are subject to “some” rules but basically put nothing back into it. They only extract from a place they do not own, rent, or lease. They are at the table with you and me when it’s time for regulations and are treated special. If I go fishing I have a bag limit. Why is a commercial fisherman’s harvest allowed to be larger? Why are they special? 


Im for a total ban of commercial fishing. You want to eat a fish…..go catch it. 
 

Edited by aae0130

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The general public has as much right to the resource as anyone else, the commercial fishermen provide that resource to them. Just because someone is a recreational fisherman doesn’t give them a right to exclusive access to that same resource 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, pakalolo said:

The general public has as much right to the resource as anyone else, the commercial fishermen provide that resource to them. Just because someone is a recreational fisherman doesn’t give them a right to exclusive access to that same resource 

I’m not saying the recreational anglers should have all the access. Just that the commercial fisherman should be subject to the same rules. If I can only take one fish, why should the com get more? An angler is an angler……what makes the com’s right greater than mine?

 

Edited by aae0130

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aae0130 said:

Let’s look at other industry types…..

 

Oil industry. You basically buy or rent (lease) the area you extract oil from.

Metals industry……same deal.

Farming…….same deal.

 

You would not be allowed to go out into publicly owned land and set up a farm or start drilling for oil…..

 

Commercial fishing? No…They are subject to “some” rules but basically put nothing back into it. They only extract from a place they do not own, rent, or lease. They are at the table with you and me when it’s time for regulations and are treated special. If I go fishing I have a bag limit. Why is a commercial fisherman’s harvest allowed to be larger? Why are they special? 


Im for a total ban of commercial fishing. You want to eat a fish…..go catch it. 
 

Those other industries like logging, mining, etc have to restore the land after they are finished working it. Commercial fisherman do nothing except move on to another area to destroy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pakalolo said:

The general public has as much right to the resource as anyone else, the commercial fishermen provide that resource to them. Just because someone is a recreational fisherman doesn’t give them a right to exclusive access to that same resource 

That’s just dumb logic. People don’t have a right to eat or sell anything they want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

14 mins ago, z-man said:

That’s just dumb logic. People don’t have a right to eat or sell anything they want. 

Fish are no different than rabbits and deer……..you won’t find any wild caught rabbit or deer meat at the ShopRite…..

 

I am dead set against commercial sale of wild caught animals. We should ban commercial fishing and the commercial sale of ocean wildlife. And we should be policing our US waters and deterring other countries from fishing our waters. 

Edited by aae0130

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aae0130 said:

I’m not saying the recreational anglers should have all the access. Just that the commercial fisherman should be subject to the same rules. If I can only take one fish, why should the com get more? An angler is an angler……what makes the com’s right greater than mine?

 

They supply the REST OF THE GENERAL PUBLIC with their portion of the resource. Stop being greedy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

15 mins ago, pakalolo said:

They supply the REST OF THE GENERAL PUBLIC with their portion of the resource. Stop being greedy. 

The resource doesn’t belong to everyone in the sense you think it does. It’s the same as deer, rabbit, and other wild animals. you want one, you have to go get it. Coms do nothing but take from the wild and get paid for it. It’s a crime in my eyes.
 

Why does my bag limit not increase if I want to get fish for my neighbor? Isn’t my neighbor entitled to a share of the resource? 
 

Coms are raping the ocean….and give nothing back. 

Edited by aae0130

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing but jealousy and ignorance in your post , jobs and feeding people vs a HOBBY   There’s room for all user groups in the equation. Sorry your jealousy is clouding your ability to see the reality of the situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

That commercial fisherman has the same recreational access to the fishery as the general public

 

+
 

raping it for profit in the ridiculous guise that he”s providing fish for others 

 

thats BS he providing $$ for his pocket he can give 2 **** who eats his catch, it’s a business

 

Edited by Sandflee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, pakalolo said:

Nothing but jealousy and ignorance in your post , jobs and feeding people vs a HOBBY   There’s room for all user groups in the equation. Sorry your jealousy is clouding your ability to see the reality of the situation. 

It’s not jealousy……it’s complete and utter distain. 
Comms are nothing more than rapists and thieves for profit. 
 

The mortality for “bycatch” alone is a crime

 

Edited by aae0130

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Again, nothing but ignorance and jealousy. Sad you both don’t understand that fish are FOOD first and foremost. 

Edited by pakalolo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

13 mins ago, pakalolo said:

Again, nothing but ignorance and jealousy. Sad you both understand that fish are FOOD first and foremost. 

And whales are oil and elephants are ivory and every creature on this planet is here for us to pillage ?

 

there are too many people on the planet we need to find renewable resources to feed ourselves 

Edited by Joe Paranee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.