Rate this topic

Is it time to ban Commercial Fishing   250 members have voted

  1. 1. Is it time to ban Commercial Fishing?

    • Yes
      160
    • No
      90

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1,178 posts in this topic

33 mins ago, MakoMike said:

I believe that the use of a public resource should benefit as many members of the public as possible. 

Shouldn’t you be more pro recreational angler then? Why should a single commercial fisherman be allowed to kill hundreds of thousands more fish than a single rec angler. Remember it’s a public resource. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 mins ago, z-man said:

Shouldn’t you be more pro recreational angler then? Why should a single commercial fisherman be allowed to kill hundreds of thousands more fish than a single rec angler. Remember it’s a public resource. 

Commercial fishermen get paid to harvest a public resource for the vast majority of the public who either can’t or won’t do it themselves.

I am very much pro recreational fishermen, I just don’t think they deserve 100% of the fish.

Edited by MakoMike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Commercial fishermen get paid to harvest a public resource for the vast majority of the public who either can’t or won’t do it themselves.

I am very much pro recreational fishermen, I just don’t think they deserve 100% of the fish.

Your actions and words show otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagine if public land was treated in the  same manner as the sea. You could go harvest some firewood to sell to people that can’t do it themselves. Harvest some loam, or gravel to sell as well. How about deer? Why shouldn’t you be able to commercially hunt them and sell if? The members of the public that don’t want to or can’t hunt should have access to venison too, right? Think of it as a public service to distribute public resources. 

:point:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

Commercial fishermen get paid to harvest a public resource for the vast majority of the public who either can’t or won’t do it themselves.

I am very much pro recreational fishermen, I just don’t think they deserve 100% of the fish.

If I want venison I have to hunt it myself. 
 

That’s how it sb with our marine resources in the world we live in today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, z-man said:

Your actions and words show otherwise. 

Yeah, like being a huge proponent of the reallocation amendments in the MAFMC and NEFMC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

24 mins ago, Drew C. said:

If I want venison I have to hunt it myself. 
 

That’s how it sb with our marine resources in the world we live in today. 

Who pays to manage deer population? Hunters with their license money. Who pays to manage marine fisheries? Everyone.

How much would your marine fishing license cost if taxpayers stopped funding fishery management? I don’t know the answer, but it would be lots more than it is now.

Edited by MakoMike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 7/29/2017 at 1:44 PM, dennysnook said:

You should run the numbers per species and see how much the recreational share actually amounts too. In many cases it far exceeds the commercial take. 

How do you run numbers of what recreational fisherman take in ?  I don’t fish in Florida but here in the northeast recreational fisherman don’t report their catch.  IMO there could be no completely accurate way to compare the two. I think it’s a stretch to say with any certainty ,that recreational fishing far exceeds commercial in any species.   Btw, I have nothing against commercial fishing per say as long as the end result isn’t the irreversible depletion of the species.

Edited by puff tentacle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Who pays to manage deer population? Hunters with their license money. Who pays to manage marine fisheries? Everyone.

How much would your marine fishing license cost if taxpayers stopped funding fishery management? I don’t know the answer, but it would be lots more than it is now.

I'd be perfectly fine with that. But, please tell me how I'm paying to manage marine fisheries? My CT license for the salt would $10 for that alone. I'd pay a $100 if those funds were used to end commercial fishing, hell I'd pay a lot more. Buy them out and be done with it.

 

Commercial fishing has outlived it viability in it's current form. There's simply not enough fish to go around given the technology used today. There's no such thing as a truly sustainable fishery at this point. All sustainable means is the slowest path towards an overfished fishery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 mins ago, puff tentacle said:

How do you run numbers of what recreational fisherman take in ?  I don’t fish in Florida but here in the northeast recreational fisherman don’t report their catch.  IMO there could be no completely accurate way to compare the two. I think it’s a stretch to say with any certainty ,that recreational fishing far exceeds commercial in any species.   Btw, I have nothing against commercial fishing per say as long as the end result isn’t the irreversible depletion of the species.

This post is it in a nut shell for most guys I know and fish with. Never take your limit and fish with conservation in mind. Our grandkids would like to fish some day and experience what we once did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 mins ago, puff tentacle said:

How do you run numbers of what recreational fisherman take in ?  I don’t fish in Florida but here in the northeast recreational fisherman don’t report their catch.  IMO there could be no completely accurate way to compare the two. I think it’s a stretch to say with any certainty ,that recreational fishing far exceeds commercial in any species.   Btw, I have nothing against commercial fishing per say as long as the end result isn’t the irreversible depletion of the species.

The numbers are estimates, based on the National Institute of Science approved Marine Recreational information program (MRIP). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, MakoMike said:

The numbers are estimates, based on the National Institute of Science approved Marine Recreational information program (MRIP). 

I didn’t know that, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, puff tentacle said:

How do you run numbers of what recreational fisherman take in ?  I don’t fish in Florida but here in the northeast recreational fisherman don’t report their catch.  IMO there could be no completely accurate way to compare the two. I think it’s a stretch to say with any certainty ,that recreational fishing far exceeds commercial in any species.   Btw, I have nothing against commercial fishing per say as long as the end result isn’t the irreversible depletion of the species.

There is no accurate way. It is all based on data collection. Surveys, estimations, wildlife officer catch reports at the dock that are very common locally, boarding checks, and whatever other fancy formulas they use. Even on the commercial level, where you report your catches, it is not accurate. It tracks fish sold that are reported through the proper legal channels, but how many fishermen sell off the books. How many fish markets report 100% accurate data. Who gives a few to their family, friends and neighbors. There is no way to truely tell. 

 

Yes I commercial fish and chose that as a profession. Left a successful career in Architecture because it's what I love to do. People may not understand that and idgaf. I know where I stand morally with what I do, I just am taken back on how hypocritical these discussions get. Ban commercial fishing but I still want to buy my bait, support my local baitshop, and just ordered the catch of the day for lunch lol. If you have the anti commercial mindset you are very naive to think that the recreational sector isn't headed straight down the same path to depleting the resource as well. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.