Rate this topic

Shipwreck

Is it time to ban Commercial Fishing  

250 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time to ban Commercial Fishing?

• Yes
    • No

they kill all of their target species, then move to another. i have no problem with commercial fishing, as long as they use hook and line and have the same minimum size, or larger, than recreational anglers. the by catch from netting is beyond belief.  i watched a boat, dragging for fluke, dump back over 50 dead stripers, from 20 to 50 pounds in one pass. i wonder what they do in one day? 

Just now, needles said:

Time to re-think/ revamp the regulations

^^^This....the good guys still do it right. Need to clamp down on those who cheat. Also, needs to be regulated from a true species population management perspective, not a $$$$ perspective. Needs to be managed with 'long term' in mind and not knee jerkish (as in the first time the yoy numbers jump, scream 'HORRAY!!!' and open the flood gates)

Can I go to the store and buy upland Pheasant?  How about some nice fresh Wyoming Elk?  No?  How about huge Ohio deer?

Then why can people in those states buy Cod?  $

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

Many of the fish they gobble up are now farmed e.g. stripers and there is no doubt that they are too efficient, soon there will be nothing left.

Maybe part of the fix is to cease issuing new commercial licenses, except for hook and line, that way those in the business will gradually go away. 

Edited by Bogey

If it cant be husbanded, it should not be fished.  You cannot keep taking mountains of COD without putting something back.  Example, the logging industry, cows, corn, tilapia, shrimp.  Leave the Tuna, Fluke, Cod, Snapper, Elk, Moose, Bear and on and on, alone.

If you can catch it, keep it.  If you cannot, it is not for you.

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

33 minutes ago, Steve in Mass said:

Tilapia? :upck: 

Yup farmed fish are gross.  And if you make the ocean private property the big corps will buy it up and we will never fish again.  No nets, no longlines.

And yes I know this will affect thousands of families.  Just like EZ Pass took thousands of families jobs away.

Things change.  Sucks, but it is what it is.  They are depleting a statistically proven finite biomass and raping it giving nothing back.

Its over.

Out rate of consumption is unparelled and far exceeds what nature can produce. Regulations are also incredibly difficult to enforce in an effective manner. Pollution only compounds the issue. I think the end of commercial fishing is probably a lot closer than most people care to think for some species. I really wonder how much longer there will be a viable tuna fishery? 

1 hour ago, lurejunkie00 said:

they kill all of their target species, then move to another. i have no problem with commercial fishing, as long as they use hook and line and have the same minimum size, or larger, than recreational anglers. the by catch from netting is beyond belief.  i watched a boat, dragging for fluke, dump back over 50 dead stripers, from 20 to 50 pounds in one pass. i wonder what they do in one day? 

This is a BIG PROBLEM! 

I wouldn't allow them to dump anything

species that they don't want and similar

catastrophic to see what amounts of perfectly good food gets killed and tossed just because........

stupidity, cretinism

same as those hunters that kill moose and than just take the horns

or head

mf