Trump and Fishing

Rate this topic

Shipwreck

Hmmm.  Should the government step in and dismiss fisheries recommendations?  Are the rules broken and T Rump is just fixing them.  Is this I have a pen and phone and I am going to shove it up your dupa?  

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/07/25/trump-administration-roils-regional-waters-with-unprecedented-decision/3Taqg1zIq71BUselhHux1N/story.html?s_campaign=breakingnews:newsletter#comments

"The Trump administration, in an unprecedented decision, has rejected the recommendation of a commission that has long overseen fishing issues along the East Coast, raising deep concerns about political meddling in the ongoing preservation of fragile stocks from Maine to Florida.

More specifically, the decision by Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross has stirred worries about the consequences for summer flounder, one of the most fished species in the Northeast. The decline of summer flounder could have a wider impact across the region’s marine ecosystem.

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

No Trump's admin sided on the Rec angler's side.

I am from Jersey, very familar with the fluke situation, and I support this wholeheartedly.  NOAA has been infected with activist appointees and is advocating for the comms while trying to END recreational fishing.

Think Piping Plover.  You think Jane Lubchenko could pick that bird out of a lineup?  Think she cares.

lol

russia

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

5 minutes ago, patchyfog said:

I gotta hear what NJ guys think, it's about them...

The question mark on the OP came back in the coolers after yesterday's Rooners trip.

Politicians and diapers should be changed often and regularly,  invariably for the same reason.

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."
Attributed to Abraham Lincoln.

3 minutes ago, Shipwreck said:

How did they do?

40 keeper Fluke, 30 Black Sea Bass

Photos showed very healthy looking fish

Politicians and diapers should be changed often and regularly,  invariably for the same reason.

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."

1 hour ago, Shipwreck said:

NOAA has been infected with activist appointees and is advocating for the comms while trying to END recreational fishing.

Think Piping Plover.  You think Jane Lubchenko could pick that bird out of a lineup?  Think she cares.

lol

russia

Just help me understand a little more, it's not my state, and I know nothing about the fluke fishery down there. I think every rec angler feels, with bigly justification, that the Council favors comms over recs. But what do comms have to do with this decision? I thought it was about rec size and bag limits and seasons.

And let's not conflate this with piping lovers.

The council has always seemed to have its head up its ass on fluke.  They tinker with the bag limit and season every single year.  They treat the crappy data that they pick up by phone surveys and by putting some guy on a party boat a few times a season like it is gold.

I never understood why they protect the abundant smaller fish, and leave the big breeder fih to be slaughtered.

I would have a maximum size limit, or a slot limit, and a number of fish bag limit.

Lood how the Redfishaka Red Drum stocks rebounded with a slot limit.

It gives tha anglers trophys to C&R, yet allows them some fish to bring home to the table.

And not just for Fluke, but just about any game fish.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

Just now, dena said:

I never understood why they protect the abundant smaller fish, and leave the big breeder fish to be slaughtered.

I would have a maximum size limit, or a slot limit, and a number of fish bag limit.

Lood how the Redfish aka Red Drum stocks rebounded with a slot limit.

It gives tha anglers trophys to C&R, yet allows them some fish to bring home to the table.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

What Dena proposes is sound commonsense supported by practical science.

Regrettfully these commissions are stacked with decision makers bound by their own ideology and beholden to their sponsors.

20 hours ago, zybathegeek said:

What Dena proposes is sound commonsense supported by practical science.

Regrettfully these commissions are stacked with decision makers bound by their own ideology and beholden to their sponsors.

Sponsors, you mean big Comm money, correct? The science is flawed. 

Patcy gets his panties twisted inre NJ fisherman because "it's about us". Laughable! The data is incorrect. And has been since they started accumulating it. It's widely believed(me included)that NJ possesses 2 different fluke fisheries. One in the north, above LBI and one below. The northern fishery has a much higher concentration of larger fluke then the southern, where I fish. We catch big ones here, just not in the concentration of the north. This is why some have argued that NJ shouldn't be lumped in with NY, Conn, RI, and Mass. Personally, I don't care who we're lumped in with. I catch fish to eat them, not just to say I caught a limit. 

Solution:

As Dena has stated stop killing the breeders . I'd set these limits;

Slot fish, 4 fish 16-18". Allow 1 trophy, over 25" per year ala BF tuna and call it a day. Up and down the coast. This way it's Obamas favorite word, FAIR. 

21 hours ago, dena said:

I never understood why they protect the abundant smaller fish, and leave the big breeder fih to be slaughtered.

I support this.

21 hours ago, dena said:

This is good management.