sudanraghu2210

Top coat - Help

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi

I am in the process of completing another 3 lures, while doing top coating with envirotex lite I came across following problems not able to sort out.

How I did it ;

First I clean the lures with rubbing alcohol and put them on my drying wheel. Mixed resin & hardener thoroughly for 4 minutes before applying on the lure and start my drying wheel. After 15 minutes I use hair drier to blow away air bubbles if any. Kept the lures on drying wheel for 4-5 hours and then stop keeping the lures still on the drying wheel for curing.

The coat was uneven at all the places with small pots and lumps at few places. After 72 hours I sanded the lures lightly and tried putting thick coat and the end result top & sides of lures were nicely finished but the belly is in bad shape with pots at few places & lumps.

Here are the pictures :

597c34615b1a9_TopCoat_blacklure.JPG.822bf56c28aa638875349020df6216e5.JPG597c3462dbfe9_TopCoat_bluelure.JPG.3515c7e2cd9ef282453d8f5fb00517b8.JPG597c346cd2484_BellyCoat_blacklure.JPG.8fd6a43ee5a98954992476d8526f96ad.JPG597c346e5d2c4_BellyCoat_bluelure.JPG.fc6fbb2d905f56d10f15c23feb5afffc.JPG597c34763e9ea_Sideviewbothlures.JPG.0302f3e6672aeb261f55e4c9f2f7d958.JPG

Would appreciate if some one advise me where I went wrong and how to correct the belly now.

Thanks & Regards, Raghubir

Nice looking lures !!

Just my thoughts.  4-5 hours on the spinner was not enough time,   (I spin them a minimum of 8 hours). Once you stopped the spinner, where the lures stationary with the bellies on the bottom.?  If so, the etex did not cure enough then the etex ran towards the bellies and created the bumps.. etex is very finicky and the air temp, humidity and length of time on the spinner are all factors.  I would try spinning longer, as the heat in the spinner also assists in curing. 

Hmm, I use CW epoxy. No waiting time before applying, no rubbing with alcohol, and no need for blowing with a hair drier to get away any bubbles, because there are none. I agree that letting them spinn for longer time might help you though, if envirotex is anything like CW in drying time. at least 6 hours on the rotator, then let it dry for fanother further 6-8 hours befoe removing from the drier. 

Hi

Countryfisher & Antagonizer

Thanks for your suggestions & prompt replies.

Is there is a way to save my lures !! could you please advise.

Its pain to loose a lure at the final stage of finishing.

Regards, Raghubir

Perfection is the enemy of the good. In this case that really holds true. They look fantastic apart from the minor blemish on the belly. I would fish them as is. They look like they'll catch fish for sure. 

As to your problem, if the only side that is goopy is the side that's weighted, then you probably need to tighten the lure on the spinner so that it spins all 360° evenly. It looks like it's flopping around and resting in an upright position. However you attach it to the spinner, it should be secure so it doesn't roll, because if it rolls, it will always roll with the bottom (weighted side) down. If it's tight and not rolling then there will be no chance for epoxy to puddle into a single spot. 

Keep that in mind for next time but don't worry about fixing these really awesome looking plugs. After you catch a few fish with them they'll be beat up and you won't even notice the bottom and forget about the whole thing anyway. But you'll remember the fish you caught with them. 

Thanks Fishy Fisher for your motivational reply, i was little depressed as all 3 plugs i coated now have same issue. Spent so much time to reached this stage and all the hard work goes down, you can understand the pain.

Your words gave me a great feel thanks buddy :)

Regards, Raghubir

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, sudanraghu2210 said:

Hi

Countryfisher & Antagonizer

Thanks for your suggestions & prompt replies.

Is there is a way to save my lures !! could you please advise.

Its pain to loose a lure at the final stage of finishing.

Regards, Raghubir

You can give your lures a second coat. That should usually do the trick. Looks alittle like an issue we some times get wth CW, where the epoxy has pulled away, somewhat like when a car is waxed and it rains on it. A second coat fills in the rough areas and evens out the surface of the lure.
It also looks like you have gotten dust on the belly of the one lure. Only way to fix that would be to carefully sand away the dark spots, then paint over the area with your airbrush, before giving the entire lure a new coat of envirotex.
If there are bald spots without Envirotex on it , I would personally not fish with the lures until I have given them a second coat, but if it s just an uneven surface on the top coat, I'd be putting them in my personal lure box. I make lures for sale, and always put the "freaks" in my own lure box, and sell the good ones. I still catch loads of fish on my freaks, so I'm not complaining.

Edited by Countryfisher

Hi , countryfisher

Thanks again for your views and tips. In fact if it is bald at some places it's better to do second coat becz it will give more life to the lure else there are chances of damage to the surrounding epoxy coat.

Regards, raghubir