Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bonefishdick

Wareham Report 07-28-2017

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

The forecast for the week end did not look inviting and with my wife still away until late in the day I decided to hop in the car to fish a spot that I had not fished this year and with the weather being rather nice today  The worst thing that could happen would be no fish.

In 45 minutes I was dressed and in the water and I arrived bout 15 minutes before high tide. 

A fish on the first cast has on many occasions been the kiss of death and that was the first thing that crossed my mind especially after coming up empty on the next couple of casts. I still had on the same clouser that I used in Chatham and Sandwich. This fly has a lot of miles on it and before the end of the day it would also have well over 200 fish on it before it would officially get retired.

This fish would be number 400 for the season since  got back from Florida in early June.

P1080695sol.JPG.e52fab68782e7c2cb67915cafd396860.JPG

This was one of the better fish that I got today, many were a couple inches smaller than this one and in most cases a lot of the fish were a long cast away in the main flow of the water. What surprised me was the number of Snapper Blues that would blitz through the area but not once did they bother my fly. That still baffles me.

P1080698sol.JPG.faaa642c3290f8073b8b0626f367742a.JPG

This was the best fish of the day 

P1080700sol.JPG.599bc655027e23f43092078cab6000dc.JPG

P1080702sol.JPG.4796bedbbb392c6b5573ba52bb7836c1.JPG

This last fish was the one that finally made me decide to retire the fly because the flash was gone and it was getting really tangled and required a comb out almost every time after each fish.

The next fly was a small Pink & White Sand Eel and that produced very well and I figured with all the fish around I would try something a little more colorful just to see what would happen. The first few casts produced zero and I wondered if maybe I made a wrong choice. The one thing i decided to do was move about 30 feet because that is the way the day progressed, It would be like fishing in a barrel and then nothing. It is so real some times that when you all of a sudden stop getting hits that you know the fish moved, You can just sense it.

The move was what the Doctor ordered and the new fly started to pick up fish and continued to do that until I finally decided to quite around 5:30.

P1080705sol.JPG.0df4961eea56ab7afd2221b02cf49df7.JPG

The new fly was the good old Tutti Frutti  Clouser tied half and half style.

I have have caught my age in fish when I was younger but the older I get the more appreciative I am when that happens. The celebration called for a Dunkins and a Glazed jelly Donut for the ride home.

Edited by bonefishdick

Dick,

What was the average length of the striped bass you caught at Wareham?

I like to match length against the age of the smaller striped bass.  That tells me their age.

I'm interested in trying to determine their Spawning Ground!   The Hudson River is the closest spawning ground in the 3 DNA specific Migrating striped bass tribes.

Chesapeake Bay striped bass do not move out of that Salty Bay until the second or third spring after they were spawned in the Fresh water Reaches of rivers and streams that flow into the Bay.

Delaware Bay Striped bass move into saltwater soon after they are spawned.  Some move up the Delaware River above the salt line in their first year. I haven't pinned down their first 3 years yet.

The majority of Hudson River Striped Bass move down the 110 miles of  Freshwater tidal in September of their first year and spread out into the rivers and bays in NJ, Long Island, NY (north and south shores) and all the Connecticut Rivers and bays from Western LI Sound to Stonington,CT.

The distance from the Hudson River is predicated on the quality and quantity of the egg hatch. The expansion is controlled by the availability of forage for the 3 inch striped bass. As the biomass enters the Salt the food sources are over come by the multitude of the small predators. They are driven to continue to move into areas that can support their needs.

When the 6 inch striped bass reach Cape Cod in the spring they are 1 year old. All of the rivers and bays mentioned above are full of 6 inch striped bass and they will stay in those nurseries until they a big enough to move out and join the Spring and Fall migration pattern.  If food is scarce they will move out earlier.  Something I believe happened to the early May fishing at the Cape.  The constant rain and excessive muddy freshwater flowing down the Watersheds pushed them out early. JMHO! 

The three weeks in May, I fished the Hudson River up above Catskill, NY was a bust. The Excessive water in the Hudson River Watershed created 9 hour dropping tides and 4 hour rising tide.  The Salt Line was pushed  south to Manhattan for about 6 weeks. I didn't catch a single striped bass in that period.  The Hudson was muddy and full of derbis. The spawning was delayed until the last week in May.  There were good runs of blueback and ale wife herring.  Caught them on sabiki rigs almost every day. My flies weren't working so I fell back on live lining herring and even chunking herring. four of us were fishing the same area and  my 3 friends caught a total of 5 striped bass in 3 weeks.   Only one over 40 inches. the other 4 were in the 29 to 39 inch Catch and Release NY Hudson River C&R SLOT.  The 44 inch fish was released as well because she was fat with eggs.

The Hudson River is a large outlet for the Great Lakes. Those Lakes flow into each other and the Hudson, Missouri, Mississippi & Ohio Rivers carry the water to the East Coast and the Gulf of Mexico. 

The Great Lakes could feed Chesapeake Bay.  A NY origin River the Susquahanna River begins near Cooperstown, NY and flows into CB at Harve de Grace, MD.  A lot of rivers rise in the Appalachian Mountains that may flow into Chesapeake Bay. The Smaller Allegheny Mountains look like their river flow into North Carolina.

The Missouri flows into the Mississippi at St. Louis and the Ohio flow in to it at Cario, IL.  Lake Ontario flows into the Mohawk River via the Erie Canal and into the Hudson River just above Albany NY. 

The last two small stripers I got were about 12''  about a week ago at Great Point Hill.   but in the morning there were schools of small blues about 5 or 6 '' braking on top right at Cedar Island off to the side of the Wareham River.    I have been getting Blues from 24'' all the way up to 34''  mixed at the West End of the Canal to Great hill Point.   Hope this helps RJ