Mattyice572

newbie needs a set up!!

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I have been fishing all my life and i have never once been fly fishing. My friend talked me into taking a trip with him to Pulaski NY for a week long salmon and steel head fishing experience. I have never caught these fish before and i have never been fly fishing before. I am looking to get something nice for the trip that is good quality and will last me a while. I have about $400 maybe a bit more if necessary to play with here if anyone has any recomendations on what i should buy. Definitly looking for a strong rod, i hear these guys can put up a fight and i dont want to drive 8 hours and have my rod snap lol I visited a local tackle shop and was looking at the Lamson Guru 2 reel any thoughts? as far as a rod and line and lures for salmon and steel head i have no flippin clue what to get. any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!!

I will pass on the tackle advice, never having chased steelhead. I do advise that you get your gear promptly, and spend time and money on casting instruction. FF is not difficult but it does need practice. The learning curve is shallow, but it goes on a long way.