Sandbar1

Red Sores

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

This season I've noticed many of the bass over 20lbs have bloody leaking sores on there bodies. This was especially noticeable walking the canal and seeing dozens of good fish suffering from this. Any one else notice this? Is it safe to handle these fish? What about consume them?

8 minutes ago, Sandbar1 said:

alright, maybe just some parasite. Is it brought on by water temp or something else.

Look like this bud?

e070f154_005.jpeg

Anything to do with the sea lice that was all over them earlier?  Just throwing darts here I have no idea. Barnacles maybe, from them staying as close to the bottom as possible when 1,000's of guys are throwing sebiles on top of them?

12 hours ago, robc22 said:

There fine....This happened a few years back.......Never heard of anyone getting sick handling them or eating them.......

Didn't someone here get a bad infection from it a while back?  Maybe bob_g?

54 minutes ago, Intrepid95 said:

Yes it was me. It got mycobacteriosis in my left hand. Bad doesn't describe it. High fever, ER/doctor visits.  IVs and long term anti bs. Flesh began dying on my left hand. Couldn't work nor fish.  And it comes back, in my case 4 times.

1 hour ago, Intrepid95 said:

I believe bob got stuck with one of the fishes spines..........Just handling the fish, cleaning it or eating the meat I believe you are good to go........One should never dress field and game with an open wound in your hand........

23 minutes ago, robc22 said:

I believe bob got stuck with one of the fishes spines..........Just handling the fish, cleaning it or eating the meat I believe you are good to go........One should never dress field and game with an open wound in your hand........

Honestly Rob I'm not certain how I got it? It occurred during a week of hot fishing on the east end. Handling a lot of fish. I noticed several fish had red sores. Woke up one morning with this tiny red dot on my left had. It burned like fire, but otherwise no big deal. By noon it was the size of a tennis ball and hurt like hell. By the time I got to the ER I had a red streak going from my hand up my arm to my neck. 

In Alaska the crews just called it "fish poisoning" and first aid kits were stocked with penicillin.  It could get bad if untreated promptly.  I saw it especially among people who handled herring.

3 hours ago, robc22 said:

Ok, nevermind. Reading helps.