Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Priebus went out with class

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Just watched his exit interview on CNN.  

He was composed, upbeat, totally respectful of the President and of Gen. Kelly.  He said all of the right things and none of the wrong things.  He would not be drawn by Wolf Blitzer into a discussion of Scaramucci's accusations and denunciations of him, Steve Bannon, or anyone else. 

A good display of professionalism, however much that's despised here in PG. 

I do wonder if President Trump's style may not be impossible for a conventional chain of command and a normal Chief of Staff.  James Baker is supposed to have been the model for the right CoS. NO ONE had access to the President, save through him. The chain of command was clear and strictly adhered to, and those who forgot this rarely got a second chance. He had a vast memory for detail and never forgot who was supposed to be doing a given job, and he disposed of those who didn't get it done very quickly. 

President Trump, I suspect, is most at home with a certain amount of staff chaos and backbiting. He may feel he has the most control precisely when dealing with conflicts between staff, and he isn't at all comfortable with chains of command in the ordinary sense. That worked fairly well for FDR, but he had advantages that President Trump doesn't have; a superb grasp of the minutia of government and, after 12/7/41, a country united by a common cause.  That's not the case now.

I like Priebus.  He's a professional political operative.  He managed the mess that was the 2016 primaries about as well as could be hoped for.  I'm surprised that he hung on as long as he did.  I wouldn't really want "Trump Administration" to be a big part of my resume based on performance to date.

A WSJ article today (excerpt below) said that an inside source said that Trump was disappointed that Priebus didn't publicly unload on the Mooch.  Trump wants drama.

"Mr. Scaramucci this week gave a profanity-laced interview to the New Yorker magazine in which he disparaged Mr. Priebus and other top staffers. One adviser who has spoken with the president said Mr. Trump was dismissive of Mr. Priebus for not returning fire."

If that's so, then 1) a speculation I posted a minute ago that Trump likes chaos is dead on target, and 2) Gen. Kelly has taken a no-win job, and 3) the leaking will never stop.

I initially thought it odd that Priebus would give his first post-resignation interview to CNN, but on reconsideration, it was an act of loyalty to the President.  No reason to talk to Fox, the viewer base is already solidly behind 
President Trump. If you talk instead to CNN, you have a chance to assure wavering voters that the White House is doing fine, just fine.  No need to worry about chaos, folks.  

General Kelly was said, by one of the talking heads who preceded Priebus on the air, to have a good relationship with Steve Bannon.  That may help some.  If Bannon has managed to edge McMaster out of Trump's inner circle, perhaps Kelly may be able to help him gain some ground. 

18 minutes ago, BrianBM said:

A good display of professionalism, however much that's despised here in PG.

That's quite an indictment of the posters here.... 

There's a strong insistence in this Forum that anyone who has any experience in Washington is a swamp alligator and therefore the enemy, to be killed on sight.  I think that's boneheaded.  Time will tell, won't it?

"The Swamp" are those who don't want change. The ones that want to maintain status quo. The ones that do not put citizens first but rather themselves. 

Priebus is an establishment snake who stifled every conservative Republican he came across when he was the head of the RNC.

There were some congressional races where he would rather have seen D's win seats than new blood conservative R's and held funding back from them.

He is one of the reasons that feckless limp dick RINOS like Ryan and McConnell still wield so much power.

He was Trumps first mistake.

Hopefully Trump learned his lesson.

Eff him.

It's quite possible that Priebus is one of many professionals who were proved wrong by President Trump's win.  He was part of the postmortem that decided that bashing Latinos had done the GOP an unnecessary injury in 2012, and that the Party needed to be more inclusive   .....   surprise!  Most professional politicians were as wrong as most pollsters.  However, once Candidate Trump won the primary, he was every bit the good party man, in pushing laggards to support the chosen candidate, and being fairly explicit in threatening those who didn't. 

6 hours ago, BrianBM said:

It's quite possible that Priebus is one of many professionals who were proved wrong by President Trump's win.  He was part of the postmortem that decided that bashing Latinos had done the GOP an unnecessary injury in 2012, and that the Party needed to be more inclusive   .....   surprise!  Most professional politicians were as wrong as most pollsters.  However, once Candidate Trump won the primary, he was every bit the good party man, in pushing laggards to support the chosen candidate, and being fairly explicit in threatening those who didn't. 

Please see the above bolded, italicized, and underlined words to understand my view of him.  Yech.  

11 hours ago, J said:

That's quite an indictment of the posters here.... 

Today's supporter thinks cool heads - who work out differences behind the scenes-  are weak and not masculine. And if they seem to be at all thoughtful or intellectual that's strike #2. 

The White House is all very much like a reality show. 

I'm appalled but its clear others really like it. 

Edited by JohnP

Traditional behavior will not change or break the habits of those who built this problem.  I admit I am not comfortable with some of the current behavior but after 6 months I am willing to support extreme behavior.

18 minutes ago, JohnP said:

Today's supporter thinks cool heads - who work out differences behind the scenes-  are weak and not masculine. And if they seem to be at all thoughtful or intellectual that's strike #2. 

And when did you become proficient at mind reading ?

12 hours ago, BrianBM said:

There's a strong insistence in this Forum that anyone who has any experience in Washington is a swamp alligator and therefore the enemy, to be killed on sight.  I think that's boneheaded.  Time will tell, won't it?

He was a leaker rat.  If he was a democrat he would have been shoit like Seth Rich

Is Debbie 2 names still outside?