lichum

Does Receiving "Free Stuff" Increase Or Decrease The Recipient's Freedom?

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

Americans, especially Millennials, like the idea of single payer more than ever.  I understand the appeal... for the employed, it is just another dent in the pre-tax income... for the unemployed, it is "free". 

The downsides are a harder sell.  "Loss of freedom"... it is more concept than concrete. ..

^^^

Slacker posted this  in another thread.

It stimulated my OP.

people either NEED to carry medical insurance,

or we NEED to be OK with people dying because they can't afford astronomical costs.....

the individual mandate makes a HELL of a lot of sense...

aside from wanting to gut it because it will make Obamacare unworkable, what is the issue?

I think that "free stuff" decreases your freedom... but it may not even be recognizable to someone who lives in an air conditioned Section 8 apartment, goes to the doctor on medicaid, has a free cell phone and EBT groceries in the fridge.  Being free from providing for your own personal needs tends to obscure the fact that you now live at the whim of government.

Just now, patchyfog said:

What's free stuff? Does it include tax breaks and subsidies? Home mortgage interest deduction?

A tax break is 10% off hamburgers today.  Free stuff is a hamburger that someone else bought and you ate.

1 minute ago, patchyfog said:

What's free stuff? Does it include tax breaks and subsidies? Home mortgage interest deduction?

No that's not "Free Stuff" that's taking advantage of current laws and regulations, see there's the difference.

Some one who pays taxes on every paycheck then gets it all back plus earned income credit is a free stuffer, So hedge fund manger who takes advantage of the tax code and pays no taxes is just playing by the rules.

It's all in the perception.

1 minute ago, Slacker said:

A tax break is 10% off hamburgers today.  Free stuff is a hamburger that someone else bought and you ate.

Two Whopper meals for 10 bucks right now.

6 minutes ago, patchyfog said:

I'd love to see Trump's Tax returns,

it seems he gets a LOT of benefits for free......

2 minutes ago, patchyfog said:

Two Whopper meals for 10 bucks right now.

There should be an ACA medical tax applied to that meal.  

Just now, Slacker said:

There should be an ACA medical tax applied to that meal.  

That's for the small size, a 64 oz soda is extra.

4 minutes ago, Jay Dog said:

No that's not "Free Stuff" that's taking advantage of current laws and regulations, see there's the difference.

Some one who pays taxes on every paycheck then gets it all back plus earned income credit is a free stuffer, So hedge fund manger who takes advantage of the tax code and pays no taxes is just playing by the rules.

It's all in the perception.

I'd like to see that Cruz idea for doing taxes on a postcard.  We have used taxes to get votes and engineer social policy for too long.  

Discussing "freedom" and our healthcare structures is problematic in many ways. Most people's access doesn't seem to involve much "freedom"

2 minutes ago, patchyfog said:

That's for the small size, a 64 oz soda is extra.

I like ice... fill the cup with it.  Bet I don't get 12 oz of soda into a 64 oz cup.

7 minutes ago, Slacker said:

I think that "free stuff" decreases your freedom... but it may not even be recognizable to someone who lives in an air conditioned Section 8 apartment, goes to the doctor on medicaid, has a free cell phone and EBT groceries in the fridge.

I completely agree.

Being free from providing for your own personal needs tends to obscure the fact that you now live at the whim of government.

This evokes FDR's "freedom from want," the third of his Four Freedoms.

4 minutes ago, rollincoal said:

Discussing "freedom" and our healthcare structures is problematic in many ways. Most people's access doesn't seem to involve much "freedom"

Almost everything is govt controlled. From who can help me, how they help me, how I can help myself, and with what I help myself.  All very controlled and much freedom is missing.