GJS

Fishing the Canal w/ a 9 yr. old?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Hi,

Not looking to spot burn but i would really appreciate some suggestions as to where i can safely take my 9 yr old grandson to do some fishing at the canal.

We live on the south shore and he has had a rod in his hand since he was 4.  He now uses my 9'surf king rod with no problem.  We have caught schoolies up to 24" but i am trying to get him a keeper. (which we would release) 

pm me if you have some suggestions to share.  Thanks very much.

Greg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Get there early, especially during low tide there gaps on the rocks where you can stand on sand or flat surface and not a large rock. The thing is those places fill up fast, I would have him wear felt boots though, getting to those rocks is still an adventure, slippery as hell. I think I fall once a trip at the canal

Edited by tunez33

44 minutes ago, boulderdash said:

Theres plenty of good fishing in Marshfield for the kid if you want to spike a rod and use bait

Reminder-  there are no fish on the south shore. :wave:

I do expect the south shore to basically be a complete waste of time due to the forecasted onshore blow over the next 5 or so days (in addition to the aforementioned lack of fish)...the rivers are always an option...or the fish pier at the canal...I'd shy away with a young'un on the rip rap rocks

One option at the Canal that is somewhat safer is to fish when the tide level (not current) is the highest, typically an hr or so after it turns west. That way the kid could cast from close to the top of the rocks and not get involved in climbing down and up. I've tried this with older mobility-impaired friends of mine and they've caught. But A) it is not an astronomically high tide this weekend and B) can only be done in limited areas and C) it's supposed to blow like hell from the NE all weekend. So not good timing. I'd defer 'til things calm down next week, you'll have more options.

-bd

With the bad weather approaching this weekend i'd hold off for a nicer , safer day to fish .. otherwise tha canal is a great place to introduce a young angler to striper fishing .. enclosed is a picture of my 11 year old daughters first fishing experience at the canal ..topped of by a nice keeper that was successfully released ...

20170602_195939-1~2.jpg

You have to consider the child's fishing experience, and not overwhelm them.

If they have fished for stripers before, you could try the jetty, but be VERY wary of the people and the conditions.

If they haven't, stick with simple tactics...fish pier, surfcasting the shallows or sand spike and sit-n-wait.

Hopefully the fish will cooperate!