Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Intracoastal

Super sticky drag, but I already replaced washers

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So I picked up a Penn Battle (original, not II) 6000 from a fishing guide in the Keys who probably put a few sharks and tarpon on it inshore. He showed me that the spool rotation when pulling line was super sticky and uneven, and he said it was probably a flat spot on a drag washer that could be replaced cheaply. 

Rather than opening it up like a reasonable person, I immediately ordered carbon tex washers as replacements. When I got the washers, I opened up the Penn and saw there were already carbon fiber washers, which are pretty resistant to flat spots and unevenness, but there was a lot of black residue in the cavity like the washers had been smoked a few times. Anyway, I greased and replaced the washers, and the spool rotation is just as bad as it was before. 

I took the line roller off and it checked out okay, so I oiled and re installed it. It turns freely. What am I missing here? 

Edited by Intracoastal

Thanks, John. After reading your post, I checked those two items, and both seem fine as far as I can tell. Bearing rotated smoothly, no apparent corrosion. I made sure spool cap went back on fine

Still have the uneven inertia/stickiness

Edited by Intracoastal

If I remember correctly, there is a bushing in the lower (bottom of the spool) that swells up from heat. Put the spool on the reel with out the drag knob installed, but fully seated. Give it a spin with your fingers, should spin very freely, if it doesn't, then I believe that is your problem. The fix is to polish/sand down the brass arbor on the shaft, and inside the bushing in the spool. Being careful not to remove to much material. Do a little and test. Repeat till the spool will spin somewhat freely. 

Edited by Tall Paul
spell check

I've had to do the same on many of the Penn Battle, Fierce, etc. series. Especially the Fierce since the inside that goes on the spool shaft is not metal. 

The drag washers should be greased. The black residue is the carbon from the drag washers.

Yikes, not the answer I like, but must be the only possibility left. I am no good with that kind of thing. Totally out of my wheelhouse--sounds easy but I think I'd permanently eff it up and don't even have a metal file at the moment.

Edited by Intracoastal

No filing..!! I use 1500 oiled sandpaper. Put the spool shaft in a drill to spin it while "polishing" it with the sandpaper. Then you can use some metal polish and finish it up while its still in the drill. 

I don't this thats the problem on the your Battle. Try it like stated above to see if it spins freely on the spool shaft first.

Sorry, I was thinking of the fierce, with the plastic piece in the bottom of the spool. The battle doesn't have that. The spool should still spin some what freely when fully seated, but with the drag knob removed. If not, try removing all the drag washers. if it spins now the problem is the washers, if it still seems sticky, then there is interference between the shaft and the spool. Also be sure that the thrust washer (white one on shaft under spool).

And like Handi2 has stated, NO FILE, polish with wet/oil sand paper 1000-1500 grit paper.

Edited by Tall Paul
added text.

2 hours ago, Tall Paul said:

Also be sure that the thrust washer (white one on shaft under spool).

What did you mean by this? 

Thanks for the advice and clarification Handi & Paul

2 hours ago, handi2 said:

Penn calls the white nylon washer that sits on the top of the spool shaft a thrust washer. If you dont have one thats the problem. 

Looks like I have that in place. I thought maybe Paul was saying I should do something with it. 

Handi, any other thoughts on what it could be?

With the spool on the reel it should spin freely with no drag pressure. Even with the drag stack installed and the drag knob loose. 

Make sure true drag washers are greased and in the right order. You can grease them and then wipe off the excess on a towel. Or leave them all greasy. Any way will work.

I don't know much about spinning reels, but where conventional reels are concerned smoothening out the flat metal washers found in the drag stack in between the carbon fibre washers greatly helps to smoothen out a sticky drag.

Does your reel have flat metal washers or a flat metal surface on which the carbon fibre washers rub against ? If so, try smoothing the metal surface using a very fine grit sandpaper - 800 or 1000 grit. 

On 7/31/2017 at 1:51 PM, Mangrove Jack said:

I don't know much about spinning reels, but where conventional reels are concerned smoothening out the flat metal washers found in the drag stack in between the carbon fibre washers greatly helps to smoothen out a sticky drag.

Does your reel have flat metal washers or a flat metal surface on which the carbon fibre washers rub against ? If so, try smoothing the metal surface using a very fine grit sandpaper - 800 or 1000 grit. 

Yes the carbon fiber washers alternate with several metal washers