Wet Head

McCain on Death Bed Can Finally Do The Right Thing

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

It's a shame that we have a system where a life long politician and man of service can only find the courage and do the right thing and stand up to his Party and President when faced with the Big Sleep. 

9 minutes ago, Wet Head said:

It's a shame that we have a system where a life long politician

The big shame is having life long politicians, their terms should be limited just like the President. "Life long politicians" on both sides of the isle have screwed this great country of ours up big time. While I feel sorry for McCain and anyone with terminal cancer, he is part of the problem being a lifer.

12 minutes ago, RiverRaider said:

So you're in favor of professional lifetime politicians... I'm not 

I don't think the value or quality of a politician should be measured in how long they did the job.

lifers CAN suck,

Trump Sucks.

in general though in LEADERSHIP roles of Gov't we are better served by someone who has been in Gov't for a while and knows how to do the job,

and who has a track record we can evaluate them on.

that way we don't end up with clueless loudmouths who talk a good game.

6 minutes ago, numbnuts said:

The thing we are missing in our partisan bitch fighting is the skinny repeal would have made things worse for everybody, even Trump supporters

AKA winning.

Hi Speech beforehand thus got meaning - about the loss of compromise since 2008.

he didn't say it, but the tea party cancer led to this moment - the GOP can't even compromise within itself, let alone with the democrats.

until the GOP casts out its extremists, the GOP cannot govern.

McCains moment was seminal - the GOP either rallies and reaches out to moderate dems to lead the country forward, or they remain a party opposing everything on principle.

His Legacy is warning. change or die.

Just now, Aquacide said:

Hi Speech beforehand thus got meaning - about the loss of compromise since 2008.

he didn't say it, but the tea party cancer led to this moment - the GOP can't even compromise within itself, let alone with the democrats.

until the GOP casts out its extremists, the GOP cannot govern.

McCains moment was seminal - the GOP either rallies and reaches out to moderate dems to lead the country forward, or they remain a party opposing everything on principle.

His Legacy is warning. change or die.

Republicans have proven they are only good at attacking the other side, actually doing the work of governing, not so much.

36 minutes ago, RiverRaider said:

So you're in favor of professional lifetime politicians... I'm not 

21 minutes ago, fish'nmagician said:

in general though in LEADERSHIP roles of Gov't we are better served by someone who has been in Gov't for a while and knows how to do the job,

and who has a track record we can evaluate them on.

that way we don't end up with clueless loudmouths who talk a good game.

Raider, I don't want people in there for life. But as magish said, I want them in there long enough to learn something, so they can make sensible decisions. We've had more Yahoo's getting elected lately, with essentially zero knowledge of issues . Then they get put on a committee they know nothing about, not good. So they need time, but I'm not sure what the limits should be.

If I have to pick just one over the other, I vote for getting crazy amounts of money out of politics (which should be happening in any case) over term limits. It's legal bribery. There's some States that have instituted term limits for their own representatives, without limiting influence-peddling. At least in some cases, the result has been that people just take the influence money over a shorter amount of time.

Edited by patchyfog

1 minute ago, numbnuts said:

Citizens United has to go, before we get a handle on money in politics.

Yup,

Trump supporters want money out of Washington because it's a corrupting influence,

they also are delighted with the appointment of Gorsuch......

and will bitterly fight any attempt to get money out of washington.